Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want Ferrets :((((

Options
  • 09-07-2005 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I'm going through the whole college process right now, so I can't have pets. This makes me really sad... I really want some ferrets, a doggie, and a kitty. Or any one of those.

I miss my doggie, it's been years since he was knocked down and he'd probably be dead by now anyway, but I still miss him... so lonely.... this sucks :|

I don't see anytime in the concievable future when I'll be able to own pets. I doubt there's any rented accomodation in Limerick that does, I'm probably moving down to Cork after college, doubt it's much better.

I've been thinking of getting a robotic pet, like an Aibo or Dalek, but I'm not so sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

ok thank's for sharing. would it be wise to have a dog, a cat and a ferret all in the one household? how about a few birds too? it would be like a cartoon. to be honest, i've always wanted a pet meerkat and i'm currently debating with myself the ethical issues involved in keeping one as a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

One of my online friends has:

A doggie
    A kitty
    Two ferrets
    A hamster
    Two birds
    A gerbil

I saw a picture of them together. It was so cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have over 200 pets in my home including, cats, mice, rats, hamster, gerbils, dogs, snakes, lizards, birds, ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs & skunks as well as other exotics - they all get on ok. Of course the cats & dogs are not allowed in the animal room unsupervised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Bond-007 wrote:
    I have over 200 pets in my home including, cats, mice, rats, hamster, gerbils, dogs, snakes, lizards, birds, ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs & skunks as well as other exotics - they all get on ok. Of course the cats & dogs are not allowed in the animal room unsupervised.
    Must cost a fortune. You must have on hell of a back garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

No way will you ever get away with ferrets in rented accomadation!, they stink to heaven!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

angry_fox wrote:
    Must cost a fortune. You must have on hell of a back garden

probably live in a shoe and have so many animals they don't know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I'm never going to get to own ferrets now...

maybe a kitty? I need something to love...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Do you honestly think that you will be able to care properly for a cat while in college?

I did it & it's bloody hard. Landlords do not approve of students with cats (some landlords do not approve of people in full time employment with cats).

Most students have a part time job to fund themselves - I assume you do? Can you afford vet bills from that part time job? I had to rush my cat to the vet one evening & that one trip cost €170 for painkillers & some stitches. That's a lot of money when you're working - never mind in college.

Wait til you leave college & have a more settled life. If you really need something to fill the void volunteer at an animal rescue/ shelter.

I haven't even gotten started on what happens when you graduate & think of traveling.... or move into a house & find your housemate is allergic to cats...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

That's not meant to come across as judgmental etc - it's just that it's late & I've been there. College + cats is not easy & your life will change a lot in the next few years. Don't make a long term commitment to a pet unless you are ready.

If you're really interested in getting a pet consider a hamster or a pair of gerbils. Landlords tend to be slightly better about accepting them & they don't have as long a life span. They can become quite tame with a lot of handling & are less draining on your resources. They may still require vet treatment but generally not as much (no vaccinations or neutering) and are generally not as expensive to treat. You'll spend a bit kitting them out with a good tank or cage but after that they're not a huge drain on resources. They are really amusing to watch, recycle cardboard :) , are easy to care for & an excellent small pet. They give as good as they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I agree with Hadook - If I was in college & did not have my own place then no way would I have pets - you cant just say ohhhhhhhhh right I am off for a week, cause critters need care!

My earlier post was just to say that you can easily own a variety of differnt species with few problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement