Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalised for having an EU licence

Options
  • 09-07-2005 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Seems this year that insurance companys are adding over €100 per premium for drivers with an EU full licence. I have been driving for 8 years in Ireland with a full UK licence and my insurance has gone up €100 this year. Been looking around and apparently on official websites, Insurance companys have to reconise EU licences. Another example of Ireland being Irish when it suits them and European when it suits them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Insurance is unpredictable. Your licence may not be the only reason for the rise. There are a lot of factors involved......i.e. your age, age of your car, etc, etc, ad infitum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

My insurance went up €100 this year as well, and I have an Irish licence. Stow it snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

What it seems to be is the new penalty points discount thing. If you have no points you get a 17.5% discount on your premium. Its not actually a discount, You just end up paying the "Normal" amount, e.g like your last premium last year. So what they seem to be doing is putting all premiums up by this 17.5%, then when you declare you have no points they deduct it again to your proper rate. They are cunning the way they are advertising this as a "DISCOUNT", which really is not true. Surely a discount would be 17.5% of my last premium? I have a UK licence so points cannot be added to it in Ireland, Thats why they have increased my premium this year.

Advertisement