Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships Fireworks

Options
  • 08-07-2005 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Just returned from the fireworks. Absolutely splendid. Weather did threaten but turned out OK in the end. The finale with all the ships hooting at the same time was tremendous. Tall ships a credit to all concerned. Take a bow everyone! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭phelo05

Just returned from the fireworks. Absolutely splendid. Weather did threaten but turned out OK in the end. The finale with all the ships hooting at the same time was tremendous. Tall ships a credit to all concerned. Take a bow everyone! :D:D:D:D:D:D
    yawn how boring :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

phelo05 wrote:
    yawn how boring :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wow what a helpfully and original post that is :rolleyes:

Fireworks were good alright, shame about the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭phelo05

i know ye aint it shur was in bed meself cos was workin all day yesterday just checked out the tall ships web cam the river completely empty now of tall ships and the clean up has started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Firework were good, pity there was some muppet standing beside me roaring "COME ON HURLER" during the whole display. Nearly gave him a smack but his girlfriend was bigger than me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Watched it all from the comfort of a privite marquee :) Cold beer in hand. Fireworks were great. Only downside was a load of people decided to piss up against the side of the marquee and it was all running in to the tent. What is it with Ireland, people will whip it out and piss anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Fireworks were spectacular but short. Only ten minutes by my reckoning. Still everyone seemed to enjoy them and it was a great way to sign things off. That and all the ships horns blaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭decies

Fireworks were poor and not worth it,not only my oppinion but others i talked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

decies wrote:
    Fireworks were poor and not worth it,not only my oppinion but others i talked too.

Was down at the tower due to there beeing such a big crowed. View was bad and fireworks were short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

decies wrote:
    Fireworks were poor and not worth it.
    Did it cost you anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

BadCharlie wrote:
    Was down at the tower due to there beeing such a big crowed. View was bad and fireworks were short.

Pity about that. A lot of people were caught on the hop as they thought that they would be launched from the Spraoi location. Would have been down there myself except that I met someone at the Bridge and stayed there. I can imagine the effect wasn't quite the same at the Tower. Very good at the Bridge though. :)

• Advertisement

Spraoi location was too near all the ships, wouldn't have been safe.

Rew wrote:
    Spraoi location was too near all the ships, wouldn't have been safe.

Thought that was the reason ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭decies

Did it cost you anything?
    Actually from a business point of view it did actually!!!!!!!
    Many others closed their shops.
    The publicans made a fortune well those within a half mile of the bridge did eg they ran out of glasses in the bridge hotel friday night.
    Funny that the people who put money into the festival were the very people apart from PR who got nothing from it.
    From a pr point of view the Tall Ships were a great success and cograts to the organisers.
    And the fireworks were still poor,i had the better of the views down by the bridge.

Your still probably going to benefit indirectly for it. Alot of money came in to the city its not all going to just leave again :)

Also alot of people will come back to Waterford at a later dat boosting tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

Yeah I was at the fireworks but i thought they would be better but they were still brillaint. The Tall Ships were great. It was a credit to Waterford City. It was really beautiful to see them sailing in Dunmore East on Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to them coming back in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I had a slight view of them from a coffee cart down at the Tower Hotel however a tree was obstructing my view and the delay in sound was quiet annoying :D but I didnt really mind.

Personally I think it was an excellent thing for Waterford and it had benefitted me greatly in that I'm going to be paid a shedload of money for all the extra hours that I put in during it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I was by the Harley Davidson tent, was good but the crowds! I was up on my boat so got to spend the night in the middle of it all and was up at 6 the next moring for the finale and then we followed the ships out to the start line but the never got to start cuz there was no wind! It was unbelievable, spectacular, incredible, indescribable out in the middle or the sea surrounded by hundreds of magnificent boats and ships, and the beaming sun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

decies wrote:
    And the fireworks were still poor,i had the better of the views down by the bridge.

I've heard several people make comments like this ... please define what would constitute an "acceptable" fireworks display !!

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but it's just starting to bug me a little, it was a fireworks display ... what exactly were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

aoa321 wrote:
    I've heard several people make comments like this ... please define what would constitute an "acceptable" fireworks display !!

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but it's just starting to bug me a little, it was a fireworks display ... what exactly were you expecting?

The fireworks were grand!

Unlike festivals and festivities in the past, the fireworks were only one element of what was going on in the city, as opposed to the be and all end all. I was down from Wednesday till Saturday and I thought it was brilliant.

I hope people went down to Frank Cassin Wharf - the far wharf on the north quays - since there was way more going on down there you might have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

merlante wrote:
    The fireworks were grand!

merlante,

I totally agree, I saw them from miles outside the city - it was a fireworks display, one small element of a truly incredible festival.

I feel proud to be a Waterford man this morning, I think that the people who organised the festival cannot be given enough praise, the whole festival was an amazing real life reminder of the city's heritage.

Other great cities around the country have thier great days, and now the organising committee of this festival have given us one of the proudest and greatest days in our recent history.

• Advertisement

aoa321 wrote:
    merlante,

I totally agree, I saw them from miles outside the city - it was a fireworks display, one small element of a truly incredible festival.

I feel proud to be a Waterford man this morning, I think that the people who organised the festival cannot be given enough praise, the whole festival was an amazing real life reminder of the city's heritage.

Other great cities around the country have thier great days, and now the organising committee of this festival have given us one of the proudest and greatest days in our recent history.

Well said :D

Advertisement