Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost Documents - help!

Options
  • 08-07-2005 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

why do things always happen to me!

ah well, here we go!

at the begining of last month a bought a new car for myself-new to me but not brand new, its an 01 - the tax was up at the end of june! when i bought the car i filled out all the paperwork and thought all was good!

how wrong was i! i hear nothing about renewing the tax, so i head down to my local offices to get it taxed! they check their records and the car hasnt being transferred to my name so i cant tax it! they say ring the department in shannon, which i do! they confirm that no documents were recieved! and tell me to get on to the garage!

so back on to the garage i go and tell them what happened, ah give it a few days they say!the cheek, at this stage(yesterday, thurs 07/07
    ) i gave up as i was hungry so went home! went back to the garage today and spoke to the owner for once. he was nice enough i suppose, checked all his records and he deffo claims he sent it! so he tells me that best thing to do is get onto my solicitor and get them to make a letter\avodavid(sp) to say documents were lost ect ect and this will make the department in shannon put the car in my name so i can tax it at last!

now he gave me the money to cover the solicitor(which was decent) i suppose.

has anyone ever had this happen to them? is this the right way to go about it?

im both mad and confused at the same time!

tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

Similar (ish) thing happened to me but garage didnt tell me to get a solictor to write to Shannon though!

They had to apply for a replacement vehicle licensing certificate (got it stamped by gards) and then they re-sent it - and this time registered post. That was in my case anyway.

I think its their responsibility as techincally they are the 'registered owners' so I would imagine its not up to you to follow this through - hence why Shannon told you to get back in touch with the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I am not sure what the story is with this I have bought many secondhand cars over the years. This problem came up a few times. I am sure there is a scam here, on about 3 occasions I have had this problem with documents. There is a way around the problem, but it's a bit involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think it is the responsibility of the garage to send these documents to DoE in Shannon when a used vehicle is sold on. Fair enough the owner is paying for your solicitor but he should be doing the donkey work to sort this out not you. This thing seems to happen quite regularly now among garages where a sales man moves a good few motors in a short period and falls behind on the paper work and it ends up getting filed away or lost.

I bet the cheque that you paid them for the car didn't manage to get lost though. I would put money on that it was lodged the day after you paid it.

I would go back and insist they sort it out, if you get no joy with them and keep getting fobbed off it may be worth getting a few parking fines, you would be surprised how fast they would get the finger out then. Would only recommend this course of action as a last resort though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

at least its more common then i thought, i was thinking it was some kind of eleberate scam thing myself for a minute- ie flog off origional documents so a clone car could look legit or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It happened to my dad with a truck he bought. They kept giving him the runaround on it. He got fed up with it and took it into Gorey and left in on a double yellow and picked up a few parking fines.

About a month or so later the log book mysteriously appeared.

I would recommend it just to get your owb back on the sales people. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

i could always use the cash they gave me for the solicitor to start legal proceeding to get the car returned and ill buy another one from a different garage!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭phelo05

i could always use the cash they gave me for the solicitor to start legal proceeding to get the car returned and ill buy another one from a different garage!!!
    ye i recommend this myself and was the car purchased of an simi member garage and what area of the country u in i could recommend a solicitor in the clonmel,cashel area that i have sueing a dealer at the mo he good.for all you know that could have been a stolen car. also i would advise to get the car assessed by an automotive engineer i could recommend one in cork who inspected my car.

Advertisement