Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Ticket Query

Options
  • 08-07-2005 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Just in relation to: CiaranC's post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=276812

Is it ok for them to issue you a ticket 7 or 8 months after an offence? What if you've unknowingly built up 12 points over the past 8 months but haven't even gotten your first ticket yet?

How are you supposed to modify your behaviour? There's no real room for correction. Obviously if you're speeding you're speeding, but I'd say most people would slow down after getting a few points, and isn't that the raison d'etre for the points system?

Or is CiaranC's scenario an exceptional case?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They didn't issue him a ticket 7 or 8 months after the offence.
    Currently they send out a notice where you either admit to the offence and recive a deduction from the normal 4 points (to two) or appeal it and end up in court where if guilty you get four. If you appeal the notice or fail to reply then a summons is issued for a court date.
    What is likely in CiaranC's case was that the initial notice was not sent (presumably an accident) or sent elsewhere or was recieved at the correct address but disposed of by someone else at that address. Either way he didn't get it.
    The initial notice from experience usually takes a few weeks to arrive. the points may take up to two years to go on your licence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Friend in work got points 3 months after the offence. Rang Traffic Office and she was told there was no limit on the amount of time.

I agree, you cannot change your driving patterns.

Me thinks I was caught speeding by a traffic van on the flyover where the N4 becomes a motorway heading out of Dublin. It was 2.5 months ago and I have changed address. Fingers crossed they dont get me!

Slumped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Two years?!?!
    And do they stay on your license for the next three years after that?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Enygma wrote:
    Two years?!?!
    And do they stay on your license for the next three years after that?
    yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

MY mam got a notice 9 months after the date but didn't know who was driving the car at the time but wrote a letter saying she'd take the points and paid the fine, she got the cheque back and a letter saying she'd hear from the gardaí to sort it out, that was a year ago or there abouts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If they don't sent the inital notice out within 3 months of the alleged offence they are on a looser as they have to give you a. 28 days to nominate another driver and b. the nominee has 56 days to respond to the new notice.

This would drive the course of events to over 6 months which will staute bar the case from going to court.

Whilst there is no limit set in stone, the practical limit is 3 months.

Advertisement