Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis - Reputable source of statistics...?

Options
  • 08-07-2005 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I'm doing my thesis over the summer and i need to put in statistics for the increasing use of mobile phones in society and pda's and so on essentially to highlight the popularity of smaller more mobile devices.

1. Does anyone know where I might find these statistics?

2. Where would the most reputable stats come from. i.e. in the case of Ireland specific stats the central statistics office would be the best for certain stats. Is there any kind of world authority/organisation who carries out technological stats such as the ones I require?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Why don't you make your own questionaire and post it on After Hours. I'm sure they'd all love to input(increase their post-count).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Yes why not fail to any actual research yourself - just post a plea and let someone else do all the work.

I presume you have heard of google? I found several links on the first try.

Another hint try technology news sites - they are always posting stories on the type of things you want and quoting market research reports. (hint get their names)

I presume you are doing this for college? I presume they have a library and all sort of subscriptions mere mortals dont have.

You do realise part of writing a thesis is actually showing the ability to do some research dont you?

Right - now off you scurry. Begone.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭limbovski

Edited for personal abuse towards another poster. Behave.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Be very careful about your sources when writing a thesis. Any twit can put up a report on the web and make it look impressive/official.

Comreg might be a start (though they tend to suffer from the "Emporers new clothes" syndrome). Also try the OECD (lots of good reports from a reputable source there). The European Commission do regular stats gathering, try them also.

Take company statistics with a pinch of salt (for example if HP commissions a report on PDA sales, you can be sure the results will be skewed in their favour).

Posting a poll on Boards.ie would not be considered a very scientific approach to data gathering and I personally feel it would lose you some credibility in your thesis.

True a poll probably isnt the way forward... since posting however I have found some good stuff on the nokia and gartner websites...

Although if anyone finds anything interesting please post it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Try:
    1. ITU (International Telecommunications Union)
    2. GSM Association, http://www.gsmworld.com/
    3. IEEE (Institution of Electrical and Electronic Engineers)
    4. IEC (International Engineering Consortium(?)).

Of these, I'd say 1,3 and 4 should be very trustworthy sources. 2 represents the GSM cellular industry so may be a bit biased, and also doesn't include non-GSM technologies so Japan and North America wouldn't be counted.

great stuff, thanks a million tom and lostinsuperfunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The telecoms channel on theregister.com quite often mentions the sort of stats you are looking for in its telecoms channel. Plus it mentions/links the sources so you can go find them.

Advertisement