Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcycle insurance

Options
  • 07-07-2005 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I was thinking about getting my first bike in the next couple of weeks,
    Something small pref a 125 or a 250 - i'm 24

Just checking the sticky on Motorcycle insurance company's seems carole nash and hibernian are the only ones who do bike insurance and AON though dealers(not much use if you buy it private)

So i decide to get a online quote from hiberian and to my amazement i seen the following -which can be found here

=======================================
    IMPORTANT NOTE:

We regret that as Hibernian General Insurance Ltd is withdrawing from the motorcycle insurance market, we will not be in a position to offer cover to new customers after 30 June 2005 and quotations are valid only up to close of business on that date. Any policies taken out before 30 June 2005 will not be offered renewal the following year. Thank you for your enquiry. If you would like more information please
    =======================================

and carole nash don't do online qoutes + they will only cover of you are 23 or over with 2 years no claims bonus????

Anybody know any other irish company or does this mean we are pretty much screwed and carole nash are the only ones to offer motor cycle insurance??

I might just buy a bike in the uk and insure it over there and bring it back to ireland......

Sorry if this has been posted before done a search but couldn't find anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Mac daddy wrote:
    Hi there, ...

and carole nash don't do online qoutes + they will only cover of you are 23 or over with 2 years no claims bonus????

What will that mean for young people on Mopeds and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

thats exactly what i was thinking :confused:

Mac daddy wrote:
    thats exactly what i was thinking :confused:

I was thinking of getting a small 50cc bike, not ped, in a couple of months, not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Squirrel wrote:
    I was thinking of getting a small 50cc bike, not ped, in a couple of months, not anymore

That would be covered with an M licence, which you get free with a B one!

kermit_ie wrote:
    That would be covered with an M licence, which you get free with a B one!

The problem is getting insured, no matter what licence as I'm under 23 and Carole Nash don't cover U/23's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

C&N will screw you over on a 50cc bike - they quoted me €800 TPO on a 125cc bike - thats wity 3yrs ncb!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You don't have to go through a dealer to get insurance from Aon anymore (Jeebus I'm really touting Aon today!). You can ring them direct for a quote:

You're quote from them will probably be pretty bleak though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jaded Idealist

My brother recently bought a bike.Although only 125, it's a sports bike so he couldn't get anyone to quote him. If you find you can't get insurance, best go to the ombudsman who will have a little talk with the unwilling party.It's his job to make sure you do...

JUst to confirm, both Aeon and CN quoted me over the phone...

Good riddance to hibernian btw. When my policy with norwich union changed to hibernian, all of a sudden Hibernian wouldn't insure me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Something small pref a 125 or a 250 - i'm 24

If you can at all wait until your 25, my premium dropped by about a 1/3 at this age.

All you can really do is to bite the bullet and pay a massive premium the first year and then try to get your full licence/ do the AON rider training which seems to offer good discounts.
    Although only 125, it's a sports bike so he couldn't get anyone to quote him.

As a matter of interest what bike does is it?

Cheers lads,

I will give aon a shout today and see what they can do.

As for waiting till i'm 25 i just turned 24 about a month a half ago do really fancy waiting any longer but thanks for the heads up :)

kevin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭jiffy

Mac daddy wrote:
    Cheers lads,

I will give aon a shout today and see what they can do.

As for waiting till i'm 25 i just turned 24 about a month a half ago do really fancy waiting any longer but thanks for the heads up :)

kevin

What bikes are you thinking of? There is a big difference in quotes that you will receive for bikes that you would think are similar.

A colleague of mine just got into biking and was torn between an CBR250RR and a ZXR250. The CBR was group 4 so Axa would quote him but the ZXR was group 5 so they wouldn't. On paper the two seem like very similar bikes :confused:

So be careful when you're looking for bikes. I can reccomend the MC22 version of the CBR250RR as that's what my friend got, I had to collect it for him since he had no licence at the time :)

If you do some lessons and take the AXA assesment you can also lower your premiums. In this case the premium goes down from 1400 to 1100. Not bad !

Good luck and keep us posted on the search for a bike :)

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You don't have to go through a dealer to get insurance from Aon anymore (Jeebus I'm really touting Aon today!). You can ring them direct for a quote:

You're quote from them will probably be pretty bleak though..
    They quoted me €1600 for the F650GS fully comp. That woul donly count if I did the training, which I am planning to do anyway. 800 cheaper than CN. Interestingly, neither of them will take the factory install limiter into account so it counts as a group 8 bike.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I only wish I could get that as a TPO quote MrP. =[

Insurance on motorbikes and mopeds is abismal over here, and it gets worse when you get a bike and start looking around UK bike forums to find out about it and so on... there's little kids over there paying 400 pounds on small capacity aprilla RS's and the like... its enough to make you cry when your paying 3500 tpo only a slow as 125 communter when your at least five years older than them.

I should be getting 2500 fully comp on a bandit 650 next year though, that or 2200 tpo, and I'm 23 (?) now.

although its better than 9000+ fully comp on a cbr 125, or 3500 tpo while 22. suffice to say i just went for third party only, and saved the 6000 with which i could have bought two new bikes. =]

I called Aon on friday afternoon for several quotes -

Age -24
    License -Provisional 0-1 years

Bike nr 1 (not that i was planning on buying it or anything ;) )
    Honda Nsr 125
    Year - 2002
    Value- 2000
    Group 7!

Price they quoted - erm well they didn't because it was a group 7 do not have license long enough + need a minimum of one years NCB

Bike nr 2
    Honda Nsr 80
    Group 3
    year and price the same as above

They quoted for third party only - price 2560 euro's :eek:

But what the girl did say if i was 25 all quotes would drop by 1100 euro's

So what i might just do is buy a cheap scooter till i'm 25 at least that way i will almost have one years ncb and upgrade to a 250.
    I asked her if i was 25 with one years NCB would i be able to get a honda cbr250rr "yes i would" price 2200 third party...

out looking for a scooter now and will hold off for another couple of months on the bigger one.

Advertisement