Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fake Temperature Gauges

Options
  • 07-07-2005 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭

One thing that annoys me about many modern cars including my own is the temp gauges are "dumbed down" and are really no better than a coolant temp warning light aka idiot light.

The fake gauges are designed to sit at the same point (usually just below halfway) as long as the car is running at what's considered a normal running temperature. But normal running temp could be a very wide range eg 70-100 degrees C. So the gauge will show the exact same reading whether the car is at 70 or 100 degrees. If the temp sensor detects a 1 degree increase above the normal range the needle may shoot straight up into the red zone.

A more sensitive proper gauge will give much more advance warning of overheating. Lots of older cars have these type gauges. The needle will probably be seen to move when the fan comes on/off, when driving up/down a hill, if the heater is turned on/off, when the thermostat opens etc.

What do people think. Anyone here prefer the fake gauges. I suppose they could be better because they are less likely to alarm the driver unnecessarily and will only "do something" when there is an actual problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I prefer the older "real" gauges. With the new one you might only notice it when there is a problem but by then it could be too late. My dad's MR2 (93) and Sonata (03) both have real gauges although I was in a Sonata in England a few weeks ago (53 plate) and it's gauges, all of them didn't seem as responsive, including the rev counter, as in the car was obviously nearing the red line but the dial showed only 3500, a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If ppl saw the true fluctuations they'd panic! My Merc 190e has a lively enough gauge and frankly I wish it was more sedate. I'd look at it less.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

mike65 wrote:
    If ppl saw the true fluctuations they'd panic! My Merc 190e has a lively enough gauge and frankly I wish it was more sedate. I'd look at it less.

Mike.

That also means that you know exactly what's going on though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You can buy kits to give you true temp readout.
    I always fit an oil pressure gauge to my cars (all be the cars generally a bit older).
    However as someone said real temp gauges do fluctuate a lot.
    A spirited drive can send the needle into unkown territory as opposed to the daily commute.

Advertisement