Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody tried this?

Options
  • 07-07-2005 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

Take a look at www.flashtec.co.uk

This is a £21 aerosol, that when correctly applied to a number plate is
    invisible to the naked eye. However the trick is, that when hit by a camera flash, the coating acts as a mirror and records a blank plate on the
    film.

The coating will not work if you're scanned by a radar or laser gun, but ANY camera flash will be refracted.

the only application I can think of is to stop people posting pictures of you car with the number plate showing ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

it's bollocks, won't work. pretty much the only thing that can make you exempt from speeding fines is not speeding or having a foreign reg car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the jew wrote:
    it's bollocks, won't work. pretty much the only thing that can make you exempt from speeding fines is not speeding or having a foreign reg car.

its not bollocks and it does work, however over here in ireland you have more fingers and toes than the country has fixed speed cameras so its useless against radar/laser traps or gatso vans which make up the vast bulk of our speed traps. The UK has a lot more fixed camera sites than we do

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently the DoT in the UK has warned people against using it so I would think that it may have a positive effect against cameras (see http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,15149-1649126,00.html)
    However, the general consensus is that these thisgs do not work, are an expensive way of spraying lynx deoderant onto your number plate (so much so that many people in internet world threaten to report the manufacturers to trading standards)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

kbannon wrote:
    Apparently the DoT in the UK has warned people against using it so I would think that it may have a positive effect against cameras (see http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,15149-1649126,00.html)
    However, the general consensus is that these thisgs do not work, are an expensive way of spraying lynx deoderant onto your number plate (so much so that many people in internet world threaten to report the manufacturers to trading standards)

This is how urban legends start :D

There is the dubious legality of these sprays to be considered too. Under section 3 below, I'd imagine.
    ROAD TRAFFIC (SPEED METER DETECTORS) REGULATIONS, 1991.

The Minister for the Environment in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 5 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 (No. 24 of 1961) and by section 9 of the Road Traffic Act, 1968 (No. 25 of 1968) hereby makes the following Regulations:

1. These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991.

2. These Regulations shall come into operation on the 1st day of April, 1991.

3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred.

4. A person shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle to which is fitted, or in or on which is carried, a speed meter detector whether or not such device is actually in use.

5. (1) The importation or supplying of, or offering to supply, a speed meter detector is hereby prohibited.

(2) The fitting of, or offering to fit, a speed meter detector to a mechanically propelled vehicle is hereby prohibited.

6. Article 5 of these Regulations shall be a penal Regulation.

GIVEN under the Official Seal of the Minister for the Environment

this 14th day of March, 1991.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I am pretty sure I saw this tested on tv, and it didn't work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement