Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cant get a VW Polo!

Options
  • 06-07-2005 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a 95+ Polo for about three weeks now I have lost count of the amount of numbers I've rang off the buy and sell most of which were sold and 1 or 2 had huge mileage.

Dose anyone know of anywhere else I could have a look for one other than the B&S? I tried carzone but the ones on there are out of my rice range.
    Basically I'm looking for a 1L with an NCT and reasonably low mileage and have a budget of about €1700. I need to find one fairly quickly as the insurance on my bike runs out soon and I need the transport for work.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

dceire wrote:
    I've been looking for a 95+ Polo for about three weeks now I have lost count of the amount of numbers I've rang off the buy and sell most of which were sold and 1 or 2 had huge mileage.

Dose anyone know of anywhere else I could have a look for one other than the B&S? I tried carzone but the ones on there are out of my rice range.
    Basically I'm looking for a 1L with an NCT and reasonably low mileage and have a budget of about €1700. I need to find one fairly quickly as the insurance on my bike runs out soon and I need the transport for work.

I just had one a few months ago in my possession, sold it for €1200...

If you lived around tipperary theres no shortage of them as Nearly everyone starts driving them around here, then when their quote goes down they sell off and trade up for a bigger car..

There's definitely no shortage of 1L -1.2L polo's, fiesta's, corsa's, starlets etc, in munster area's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

My dads from Roscrea so I'll get him to keep an eye out so. Cheers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

1litre polos are in a shortage as i had one a while ago. i sold a 95 polo for €3000 around november last year. theres 1 guy in the buy and sell that buys all the polos that people put on sale and then he sells them on at a 500-600 profit.

i met him to sell mine and he was offering around 1700-1800 and i said no but i asked him his business and he said he just buys and sells just polos all day.this is because of cheap insurance.

so anyway keep looking and you will find one. just buy the buy and sell at 7-8am on monday -wednesday-friday morning and you will defo get a polo.

good luck and keep us updated.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

My brother had a similar problem trying to find a 1.0L Opel Corsa. It's not just a case of all the starter drivers snapping up all the 1-litre cars in the country but, as you say, dealers and fellas who casually buy and sell motors are really getting into it as well. They know there's a big demand out there for 1-litre cars at the moment and they're really making hay while the sun shines, buying as many as they can on the cheap and selling them on at a tidy profit, as you say. Plus, there's the added problem that more and more manufacturers seem to be dropping 1-litre cars from their line-ups and starting their engine ranges at 1.2-litre or something instead. I've noticed this the past couple of years, especially with newer models, and it means that there's an even bigger shortage of decent, second-hand 1- and sub-1 litre cars out there right now. It certainly seems to be a seller's market in the 1-litre category at the moment in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just had a quick look through http://www.buyandsell.ie and found these:

[font=Verdana, Arial]VW POLO 1995. 1L, 89k mls, red, 3dr, NCT 08/05, excellent condition inside and out. #1750 085-7394039 [/font]
    [font=Verdana,MS Sans Serif,Arial]Conn and Leinster

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial]VW Polo 97' 1.0L 5dr h/b blue 74k e/m nct 04/06 two minor dents good cond. otherwise #1950 Contact: 087-9128116.[/font]

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial]VW Polo '96.Met green, 3 dr, NCT, taxed, bargain, #1500. Contact: Galway area,087-1374627.[/font]

[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

try the autotrader - magazine or website : autotrader.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

also, try car buyers guide. Printed version is out on Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Or look at a Seat Ibiza, it's the same car for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

In Febgot a 96 Polo with power steering(which was really difficult to find) for 2800.
    The ones without p/s are significantly cheaper though. I think the Buy and Sell is your best bet - just get it early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Take a trip to all the local dealers too to see what they've got. I know when I was shopping around for my car back in february (I eventually bought a 5 year old fiesta zetec 1.25), there was plenty of polos about. (Kilkenny/carlow area)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

try lough car sales in cork city, near glasheen rd, they usually have a tidy sum of cars all shapes and sizes

dont know ur location thou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Cheers for the help but I think I'm going for a Ibiza instead now as ds20prefecture said it's basically a polo anyway and there much cheaper which is a big thing because Insurance is such a rip off. I rang about one tonight, it was just down the road from me but it had 95k on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This one might suit your pocket:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=255437&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%26nbsp%3BSEAT%20Ibiza%2C%20Year%3A%201995%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=14012813&CFTOKEN=14928242

Cannot believe it has only covered 45k in 10 years though.

I would have it checked and some sort of service history is important. Low mileage cars are often not maintained properly as some owners have the attidude of "Sure I don't use it that much so it doesn't need a service."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I drove a 97 1.0 Ibiza for 3 years from new. Great wee car, faultless 45000miles and surprising capable on the open road. To my eyes much more handsome than the Polo too. I don't think Ibizas had power steering as standard until 98.

Here's a good looking one in Kildare.
    http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=293534&ID=522455&Make=Seat&Model=Ibiza&frmFilter=All

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrsmagoo

bazz26 wrote:
    This one might suit your pocket:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=255437&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%26nbsp%3BSEAT%20Ibiza%2C%20Year%3A%201995%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=14012813&CFTOKEN=14928242

Cannot believe it has only covered 45k in 10 years though.

I would have it checked and some sort of service history is important. Low mileage cars are often not maintained properly as some owners have the attidude of "Sure I don't use it that much so it doesn't need a service."

I happened to find that Seat Ibiza last weekend too on that site. I rang the garage about it and the first thing they told me was that it has no power steering. He then continued to tell me that it had nothing extra, just the basics. He recommended other cars in their garage above that one. They seemed to have a choice of lower end cars.

Advertisement