Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PS2 in car

Options
  • 06-07-2005 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to run a slim PS2 in a boat, it dosen't have a normal socket but has the car charger one, does anyone know where I can pick up a cheap power supply to run it????

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You can either get an inverter which converts the 12 Volt DC supply from the cigarette lighter socket to 230v AC or there are kits out there to change the power supply in the PS2 but that involves cracking it open.

The inverter would be simpler. You can get them cheap enough in somewhere like Maplin for less than 50 quid if memory serves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Just a cautionary note.
    If fitting diy convertor be aware the 12 cables need to be substantial.
    I have seen one fire, when a diy convertor was fitted with too small cables on the low voltage side.
    220 volts is small current the 12 volt side needs to pull major current.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Robbo wrote:
    You can either get an inverter which converts the 12 Volt DC supply from the cigarette lighter socket to 230v AC or there are kits out there to change the power supply in the PS2 but that involves cracking it open.

The inverter would be simpler. You can get them cheap enough in somewhere like Maplin for less than 50 quid if memory serves.

I disagree. The slimline PS2 uses an external DC adapter, so it shouldn't be an issue getting the appropriate DC power supply to run from 12V. Ensure that you have sufficient amps at the power outlet, and that the outlet is shielded (using a series large value capacitor).

This one seems a little expensive, but might have sheilding built in.
    Check this one out too
    And this one

Advertisement