Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best way to buy and sell shares

Options
  • 06-07-2005 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Like to title states whats the best way to buy and sell shares. I believe you can do this with the AIB Bank, am sure that appiles to all banks, but what i mean is, can i walk into a bank now and buy 1000 shares in Elan.

Or does a portfolio have to set up.

Any comments welcomed, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Well for a start you could check out something like http://www.sharewatch.com
    which is a trading portal (irish geared? - correct me if Im wrong). They claim to be a low cost (commisions) operation allowing you to buy/sell shares yourself. I cant comment on whether it *is* actually low cost as Ive yet to find the time to shop around. You can get a temporary account and make trades with some fake money.

Does anyone have recomendations for reliable + cheap online trading sites..?

As for buying shares thru the bank... unless you're talking about some sort of group/fund scheme I'd steer clear (actually Id steer clear of the funds too). Let me put it this way, if the people in there were good with shares etc - do you think they'd be working for AIB..? ;-)

The best way to approach this is either approach an established stock broker who charges very low comms (however there is very little of this in ireland, as a culture we do not know how to invest i.e. look at the property bubble we all throw our money into one very large egg basket..) - or, which is what I also plan to do, spend some time educating yourself about how the stock market etc works, set up an online account and maybe make some small low-amount trades yourself and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Cheers Soma,

I know pretty much all you need to know when it comes to stock markets and trading shares.

Just not clued up on the vehicle used to buy and sell them.

Id opt for a self managed portfolio consisting of irish (iseq) and uk (ftse100) shares.

Hey if your interested yourself in share dealing try fool.co.uk pretty good when it comes to commissions.

I must ring around, so basicly i put money into a portfolio, the broker keeps that on account (deposit account etc) i issue transaction orders to the broker, they buy or sell on your behalf and then give me a share contract or certs and a nice wee bill for there commission, does that sound right?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi ,
    I have an Ameritrade account - and only buy and sell US shares.
    All tranactions -incl limits are 11$ a go - not bad compared to banks or Irish brokers. I have access to my account 24*7 on the web also.

There may be a problem with US brokerages setting up new European accounts but you can try,

hope this helps,

Karl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Campbell O'Connor have a reputation as being one of the more reasonably priced brokers in the Irish market (I presume we're talking execution only here-right?). Haven't used them myself-only have cash in funds right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

kluivert wrote:
    I know pretty much all you need to know when it comes to stock markets and trading shares.

I'll try and save you some pain here. Best bet is to assume you know nothing and be cautious mate.

Paper trading and real trading are quite different.

Are you planning on holding shares for the short, medium or long term?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 croiadh

I am also looking to but some shares to be held short term.

I have been looking at www.sharewatch.com and i like what i see with them so far, fees and charges are about the lowest that i have seen.

They say I can open an Euro to buy Irish stock and Sterling to but Uk and that i can fund both direct myself.

Anyone had any dealings with them or can anyone offer up some help for a newbie?

Thank you

Croi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

If you are going to trade UK shares stay away from Irish Brokers such as Goodbody I sold one UK Share and bought another simultaneously they charged me fx both ways and commission both ways. I had no problem paying the commission but the dual fx was taking the piss I felt.

My basic advice would be to go on to www.ft.com and click onto this link http://mwprices.ft.com/custom/ft-com/quotechartnews.asp?countrycode=uk&symb=ftse100 which is close to the the top right corner.

When you have selected the shares you want to analyse click onto the interactive charting tab bar and analyse its performance over different timeframes. If you see something you like then click a few of the sponsored links to find a reputable execution only type broker that will probably charge you 15stg per transaction with no fx charges once you pay by credit card.

The only investment selection advise I would offer is that shares that pay a decent dividend i.e 3.5 - 5% have tended to out-perform over the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Has anyone used these guys?

http://www.deltaindex.com/

or spread betting in general?

Thank you Thomond Pk

Cheers for the post you made...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

croiadh wrote:
    Thank you Thomond Pk

Cheers for the post you made...

De Nada

I'd be happy to discuss my mistakes if you want to send me a pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I would recommend www.sharewatch.com they are pretty much the cheapest online/phone execution only around... Good customer service as well.

Hi

I recieved the forms form sharewatch and for buying a large ammount of shares thet offer the best rates plus its all done on line trhe only thing I dislike is that yiu have to fund your account with them up front to what ever level you need, this is ok but I onluy wish to start small and see how it all works out for me so I went looking and came accorss

http://www.fexcostockbroking.com/

They offer a phone dealing service, no annual fees apart form cest charges

Irish stocks: Min comm(inc admin fees) is €32.50 you can trade up to approx €2,000 for this

UK stocks: Min comm(inc admin fees) is £26.00 you van trade up to approx £1,600 for this.

All plus stamp duty

They feature that i like is that they will issue you with a contract note and you then have a few days to pay them.

There is only a small difference between the two for tades up the above limits and if I go over these limits with fexco I will move over to sharewatch.

There are lots of uk brokers but you require a uk bank account and is you can get one, i live in kerry and dont have the time etc to set one up

Has anyone got any better ideas for me?.....

I dont want high annual account charges etc...

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭blink496

quarryman wrote:
    Has anyone used these guys?

http://www.deltaindex.com/

or spread betting in general?

If you are a novice, steer clear! You can lose your shirt in spreadbetting if you dont know what you are doing! Sharewatch would be the best bet in the irish market.
    ;)

Advertisement