Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rough price to change front brake pads?

Options
  • 05-07-2005 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Ok I am 100% broke, and need to know a rough price for a mechanic to change front brake pads

also would it be cheaper over all if I buy the pads and he just replace?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It will be far cheaper to DIY (are you competent enough?).
    what car have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If you are really stuck for cash, you could pick up some cheap pads in halfords. They won't last as long as a recognised brand, but they should be fine. They are generally pretty easy to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Ford fiesta - honestly I only want them to last till sept
    nah wouldn't be confident enough - but if it's that easy I might ask my dad or something

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Replacing the pads on wheels with discs should be no more than a 15 minute job per wheel. If your dad can help, go with that.
    Brake shoes on the other hand are a more fiddly job and will take longer and cost more to get done by a mechanic.
    I can't give an idea of cost of pads as I've only just replaced pads after 65000 miles with pads bought a few years ago before I learnt to do these jobs for myself. I bought the pads because of some squealing from the front wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I did this job on my 96 Fiesta on Sunday. Including cleaning the caliper slides, it took about 1 hour, in between watching the Leinster final, ducking in and out of the rain and trying to explain to my 3yo son what I was doing. You'd need a flat bladed screwdriver, a 7mm allen key (prob with a ring spanner for leverage), some copper grease and a drop of WD40 to clean the slides. It is really easy. €25 for the pads in the local autofactors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

How about replacing pads and rotors? How easy a job is that?

Advertisement