Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tie Rods

Options
  • 05-07-2005 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭

The 2 Tie Rods are gone in my Dad's Mondeo (so he is told). Anyone have any idea how much this is going to cost to get fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ring around some local garages while you are waiting, I'm sure people here can advise you on whether the quotes sound reasonable or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

hello m8,
    Rod-Tie as ford call them is quite a common problem,but are very easy to replace,its just a lenght of metal with a ball joint on each end facing different directions,just 1 bolt on each end to attach
    you will find them coming from the front anti-roll bar to the strut.

heres the ford part number for them 8/96 - 12/99 = 6960036
    12/99 - 9/00 = 1106269
    and they cost about €45/€50 ish each. ;)
    not sure how much a dealer would charge to replace.

mondeoman wrote:
    hello m8,
    Rod-Tie as ford call them is quite a common problem,but are very easy to replace,its just a lenght of metal with a ball joint on each end facing different directions,just 1 bolt on each end to attach
    you will find them coming from the front anti-roll bar to the strut.

heres the ford part number for them 8/96 - 12/99 = 6960036
    12/99 - 9/00 = 1106269
    and they cost about €45/€50 ish each. ;)
    not sure how much a dealer would charge to replace.
    Answer = €200

€200 is crazy :eek: ,its a 10min job,I replaced them on a 94' diesel mondeo i had,simple job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

€28 each in any motor factors.Take 10 mins each side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't forget the wheels will need tracking once the rods are in. Thats about 30-40 euro.

Mike.

Yeh it's annoying all right....we didn't know what the noise was so sent the car in to be investigated....when we were told the tie rod ends (neither me or my dad had heard of them) he just told the garage to go ahead and replace em.
    After lookin around a bit on the net and readin the Haynes, we could have done it ourselves...ah well what can ya do

The Wheels DON'T need balancing after this job as its a anti-roll bar rod tie thats been replaced not a track rod end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The Wheels DON'T need balancing after this job as its a anti-roll bar rod tie thats been replaced not a track rod end
    I thought track rods and tie rods were the same thing? On my car the tie rod/tie rod end connects the steering to the hub carrier and has nothing to do with the anti roll bar. The part you are describing sounds more like a "drop link" to me although I could be wrong as I'm not that familiar with the suspension set up on fords :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Er some confusion here, on Planet mike65 (and elsewhere) tie rods/track rods are the bit that keep a wheel pointing in the correct postion relative to the steering rack.

Mike.

hi brian3d,
    i am talking about 'drop links' but ford call them 'rod ties' they can sometimes give trouble on mondeos,a track rod end is called 'end spindle rod' by fords.if the track rods are replaced the wheels wioll need balancing as mike65 has already said.but not when replacing drop links(rod tie) :confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks for the explanation mondeoman. The terminology used by Ford is quite confusing and seems to be different to that used by other manufacturers.

Advertisement