Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 05-07-2005 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I am on my second provisional license and i always thought that when on your 2nd you are legally allowed drive without a person with a full license with you, some people and told me i am and some have told me i am not, can anyone give me a definate answer please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Yes you can, strangely enough. But only on your 2nd provisional. i think it says so in "The rules of the road" book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Yes you can, strangely enough. But only on your 2nd provisional. i think it says so in "The rules of the road" book.

and do you know this for definate because the people who have told me different, say there was a new law brought out saying you were not allowed :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

and do you know this for definate because the people who have told me different, say there was a new law brought out saying you were not allowed :confused:
    People are idiots who don't listen to the news, but draw their own conclusions from what they've overheard. There's been no change to the law, or it's enforcement, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Take a look at your license, it will be clearly marked on the right hand side if you must be accompanied by the full license holder, which in your case with a 2nd provo it will not. 3rd provo will be marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Just to clarify this further: you are ONLY allowed to drive unaccompanied on your second provisional licence. Not on your first, third, fourth, fifth, yada, yada.
    If you fail the test with your third licence, you shouldn't be allowed to drive on the roads ever. AFAIK in Germany, you have to do some psychological test if you fail the driving test a few times. But I could just be making that up, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

It is the stated intention of the government to remove the dispensation for second provisionals, but it's not been changed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Thanks for clearing that up fellas

Advertisement