Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entering the US on a business trip with a criminal record

Options
  • 04-07-2005 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey - I was convicted of a drug related offence around 5 years ago. I have no intention of ever living in the US so that's not a problem but my company wants to send me on a week long trip there. Naturally enough my company doesn't know about my past, which leaves me fretting over the possibility of not being allowed into the country.

So, has anyone here who has a criminal record (or anyone who knows someone) been to the US on holiday/business? Had any difficulty? I'm having trouble finding info online for just a short trip - it seems to detail a full visa, but again I'm in no way interested in that.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

A lad I know entered the US with a public order conviction on a holiday visa and was fine. He stayed for three weeks.

My opinion of that matter is that they cant possibly vet every single person that crosses the border, if you are only going for a few days on business you *should* be fine. That said thats only my opinion.

You have to make a declaration going through immigration if you have ever been convicted of a criminal offence. Its up to you what box you tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if the ban is absolute. You do have to admit it to them, but they have the discretion to allow you in if you don't pose a risk.

Talk to an American immigration lawyer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Or perhaps you could contact the US embassey and talk to someone there. Although I would consider not telling them exactly who you are if you decided to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

**** it mate, i'd say nothing you'll get through i reckon, these lads at american immigration are only lookiing for chaps wearing towels on their heads and screaming infidel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

If you travel on the visa waiver scheme you'll be able to get in but if you need a visa they do a crb check on you and probably won't let you in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

A relation of mine had a drink related offence (drunk and disorderly or equivalent). He was stopped by the immigration people in Dublin. He explained that it happened when he was young and foolish and there was no problem after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Has anyone swung a visa in recent years - with a prior record - and without declaring it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Any normal,safe country like russia or columbia i'd say go for it but America is a bad idea. Ring the embassy but don't give your name.

Thanks for the responses. Again it's solely a business trip so I won't be needing any visa's, though admittedly I'd like to be able to use my relatives skiing facilities in Flagstaff at some stage in the future!

Think I'll give the embassy a call though.

Just remember if the catch you out, you are likely to spend jail time and then be barred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I agree with Victor, the US post-'9/11' is a paranoid place. If they even suspect you have withheld information or lied to them they will take it very seriously.

Ring the embassy and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Is it worth the risk? You could be in a (not very nice) clinker for a few months. Has happened to people who just outstay their visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

4Xcut wrote:
    Ring the embassy but don't give your name.
    I second this. Also, ring from a payphone.

=-=

Also, if you don't declare it, and you're caught near anything dodgy, you may be seen as someone who came over for the wrong type of business.

DO declare it. be absolutely honest. if you're caught out you will most likely be thrown in jail and raped (no joke) as you are a foreigner. its just not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

immigration to the u.s is in dublin airport if your flying from there so you wont get all the way to another country and have to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,228 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

immigration to the u.s is in dublin airport if your flying from there so you wont get all the way to another country and have to come back.

Very good point. Are you flying direct from Dublin, OP?

I also agree to make an anonymous call to the Embassy

This has got me all freaked out now. I didn't think about the consequences of not admitting it. My boss also asked me today if I would be free in August to go, and I can't say no. I'll either need to agree and fake a reason for not being able to go like forgetting a passport or something as lame as that (though I can't really do that indefinitely) or tell my boss, who's cool, but not that cool!

I will be flying directly from Dublin.

I just checked out the visa waiver program - not sure if I need to go this route if I'm travelling for a week, but one of the no-no's was having a criminal record. Now I'd imagine that if I can't apply for this that I'll just plain out be refused entry to the country. This is bad bad bad!!

Doesn't leave me many options either. Can someone who has travelled to the States recently describe what they went through, in terms of checks and that kind of thing, and if they applied for this visa waiver thing? Thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

If you don't feel confident about getting in perhaps you could give your boss a different reason for you being unable to attend. Tell him you have a family problem, or a deathly fear of flying. He doesn't have to know that it is because of a criminal record.

Sorry, no-one seems to have good news for you. You could still try phoning the embassey.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A drug related offense...

If it was possession, and was 5 years ago, just tell your boss and say you were "a bit mad in your youth and did something stupid". If you aren't doing them now then there shouldn't be a problem.

If it was dealing, or possession with intent etc then it's a different kettle of fish.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it was dealing. I could go on about how I was just the wrong guy in the wrong place but you don't get a comments or pity section when filling in a form about this kind of thing - you're either a dealer or not. I never did time as the judge realised that I wasn't a real dealer - the arresting officer even said this to the judge - all he wanted was a conviction.

So I've had no disruption to my employment, though I've had this crap over my head for the last few years and it looks as if I'm going to have to face up to it for the first time.

I'm gonna be having quite a few restless nights over the next month or so.

Sorry, possession with intent was the actual crime. Not sure if there's a difference.

why don't you tell us exactly what the offense was. if it was just selling a bit of weed to your mates then i think everyone here would agree tour boss probably would be ok. he might have even one it himself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Listen just tell your boss the truth. theres nothing you can do about your past except make sure you dont fu£k up again!

best luck!

but just to let you know, my friend who was convicted wrongly when he was 20(he's 53 now and it was in the uk) served 18 months and was released but never pardoned because he with held something very silly from the court.He can never enter the usa. His time was over something a lot more serious but still he's never able to go to the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

One of my mates has been to court several times, think hes been giving a criminal record for a public order related offence, he had no problem getting a working visa. To be honest I dont think its all that big a deal.
    Last summer got a 3 month holiday visa and I dont recall any questions on the form about a criminal record.
    If all doesnt work out, you can always fly to mexico and cross the border there, if you dont look mexican its easy peasy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

Sorry meant to add this as well. Although I remember hearing stories about Ireland supporters going to USA 94 being not let in to the country due to small personal use(cannabis) possession. Could have been just stories though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was worried about similar issues when I went to Washington a couple of years ago, but after 9/11 and for different offences on my part, but had no issues at the immigration. If you don't get let in though they will decide that in Dublin and just won't let you on the plane. They are not going to deny you entry, then stick you on a plane to put you in a US jail.

I seem to remember that the form that you have to fill in at Dublin/ Shannon only actually had boxes on it for declaring if you were a member of the Nazi party during the war, there was probably another box I had to tick as well but there were more questions about the Nazi party than anything else.

Sorry, possession with intent was the actual crime. Not sure if there's a difference.
    Possession of more than X amount (the amount you could reasonably use yourself) of a scheduled drug, is considered possession with intent to supply.

I'm thinking about telling my boss. Regardless of what I was dealing, be it hash, grass, pills, or something as scummy as heroin, there's no definition afforded the title - as I said above you either dealt or didn't, and in my case, even though I have never dealt drugs in my life, I'm now labeled as one and open to the same critisism and hatred as someone who sold dodgy crack to a 15 year old.

Robinph - did you apply for a visa beforehand or did you just fill these forms in at the airport? Did you have to admit to any offences on the form? Just as well I'm not a member of the Nazi party. A Nazi dealer - I think they'd bring me to the US just to throw me in jail ;)

• Advertisement

OK Business Trip Guest, here's what I've learned over the years.

I lived over in the US for several years, working for a huge multi-national corporation, and have been through the Immigration desks in Dublin/Shannon/New York/Boston, both on work visas & visa waivers more times than I care to remember.

If you're flying direct from Ireland, you will encounter Immigration either at Dublin or Shannon; most likely Shannon. You will be asked to disembark the plane in Shannon and hang around the bar/duty free area for an hour or so. Then the Dublin passengers and any additional passengers who are joining at Shannon will be called to board. Before you board you have to fill out two seperate forms; an Form I-94W and a Customs declaration form. The Customs one is straightforward, are you carrying any goods worth over $10,000 etc. whatever. I presume you are travelling on a visa waiver, as you previously mentioned you're going for a week. On this I-94W form you are asked to provide basic personal information, and also answer some yes/no questions. One of these is definitely a question relating to criminal convictions.
    Some travelers are not eligible by law to enter the U.S. using the Visa Waiver Program. These include people with certain serious communicable illnesses, criminal record/s, previous exclusion or deportation from the U.S. and those who have previously violated their status using the Visa Waiver Program.

You also have to sign at the end of ths form, thus stating that you accept that all this information is true etc. You will then be called to the officer's desk, when they will ask you some questions about the nature of your trip, generally sussing you out. They will also take a fingerprint of your index fingers, and a mugshot of you. This is a standard practise that they do to all non-citizens, so don't sweat it. They'll have a bit of banter with you, and usually that's it. Now in your case it's going to be a little different, cause you've got some extra baggage and you're not sure whether you want to check it in or not. That's completely your shout. One thing is certain, you will not be arrested and detained by US authorities, you are not in the United States. Worst case is that you'll be refused entry on you 'previous' and blacklisted, i.e. you will never enter the US under any circumstances again.

A close friend has an almost identical situation to you; narc conviction roughly five years ago, US g/f, and has been over and back a few times on visa waivers (UK citizen btw), but the last time they brought it up and asked him if he'd ever been in any trouble with the law. They let him in, but he doubts he'll get in again in the same way, so he's currently enlisted the aid of a legal eagle as he wants to make the next visit a bit more permanent.

Bottom line is, it's the luck of the draw whether you make it. I would personally tell your boss, it happened a long time ago, and so far hasnt impaired your ability to do the job (until now), and I cant see them having agrounds to fire you because of something like this. If you didnt tell them, then they might have grounds.

Explore your options. Call the embassy. You have a month or so to suss it out.

These folks could be helpful as well:

www.eiic.org

Advertisement