Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another moving to London thread

Options
  • 04-07-2005 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Just one main question really. Have been checking out gumtree and there are obviously lots of places for rent but:

I'll be working in Hammersmith and don't mind living close to work, in fact closer the better cos I have no interest in long commute times but I haven't a clue what areas I should be looking for accomodation obviously bar Hammersmith. In otherwords I see places available etc but have no idea of the distances involved so area names near Hammersmith would greatly help.

Cheers,

CL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hammersmith

I'd go for fulham or shepherds bush if you don't want to live in hammersmith
    theres loads of buses that go everywhere in west london. The tubes are a wee bit shíté that end of london though.

Kensington and chelsea are posh and accordingly expensive.
    I'd go for between hammersmith and shepherds bush if i was choosing.
    theres good bars in both places bu no real clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Also check the london transport site ( www.londontransport.co.uk ) and open the tube map (If thats what you'll be using to travel). It will show you how far away you are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You should buy a London A-Z. (and look at www.a-zmaps.com ) You will be able to see the areas, where the tubes are then you can work out for yourself the different locations that you would like to live in. Do look at the transport for London website, it has a service that you can use to plan journeys so it will tell you how long it takes to tube or bus from one area to another.

Then when you have some areas in mind look at www.movethat.com
    Check out the local gossip section and see what people in the area think of it. And you can ask for information from locals about the quality of bus, tube and rail services or about rent prices, local amenities and safety issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Thanks for the replies, my problem is that it's a bit of a head wreck to say... run a search for flats in hammersmith and then get back responses for other areas, I go off and look at a map for that area, find it eventually then run a specific searchon that area and get other areas and repeat. Just figured my search would be made easier by having places names to begin with rather than repeatedly going off and giving myself eyestrain from looking at a map.

Cheers for the replies nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No.... ITS NEVER EASY!!!!11111one one one

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Personally find gumtree the easiest for finding specific things. www.spareroom.co.uk and http://uk.easyroommate.com let you search via location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Or you could come to the July 15th London Boards Beer and see if anyone has a couch to let...

/me shamelessly gets boards beer promo in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Or you could come to the July 15th London Boards Beer...

might not be a bad idea that - doubtless we're all over the place in london and could give you some advice on various areas.

I also feel no shame.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

And myself and Mycroft still haven't been taken up on our air mattress and Lunner offer!

Of course we are in Seven Sisters, so we aren't near Hammersmith but you could stay the night with us if you wanted to come to the Beers.

(Lunner is aparently a distant relative of brunch, the Lunch-Dinner combination meal)

Try looking at the Acton/Chiswick/Ealing area. It isn't too far from Hammersmith and is reasonably priced.

http://www.findaproperty.com/region.aspx?regionid=78&opt=prop&sp=0&salerent=1&minprice=&maxprice=1000&weekly=0&bedrooms=1&type1=1&type2=1&al=005700180051007500520164

Try that link for some examples

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just one main question really. Have been checking out gumtree and there are obviously lots of places for rent but:

I'll be working in Hammersmith and don't mind living close to work, in fact closer the better cos I have no interest in long commute times but I haven't a clue what areas I should be looking for accomodation obviously bar Hammersmith. In otherwords I see places available etc but have no idea of the distances involved so area names near Hammersmith would greatly help.

Cheers,

CL
    Live near work. Then the Hammersmith school disco can be your local ;)

Advertisement