Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MPV's unsafe ?

Options
  • 04-07-2005 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Typical American pileup video, but just look at the extent of damage to the rear end of that people carrier :eek:
    http://media.santoalt.com/videos/bad_accident_gets_worse.wmv

Do NCAP test rear end shunts ? I've noticed most these huge 7-seaters have kids seated literally 1ft in front of the rear windowshield, feckin' lethal if you ask me..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Haven't watched the clip yet but apparently the Voyagers are total death traps. They do very badly in NCAP tests.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The vehicle in the clip looks like an old design and looks more like a converted van than a purpose designed MPV. It may have a separate chassis which is very strong up to a point but then collapses once a certain threshold is exceeded.

Another factor is it may have structural corrosion which is weakening the whole thing. It may have been shunted before and not repaired properly which will also weaken it. It does seem to sustain a lot of damage compared to the car that hits it.

So it's not a surprise that the vehicle sustains a lot of damage in this crash. Even though EuroNCAP does not do rear impact testing, a newer design would crumple more progressively and protect its occupants better.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anybody notice only one car had the emergency lights on at some stage? :rolleyes:

Standard practice on the continent, and in fairness, I've been noticing it more and more recently over here

I even had a rental car a few years back on holidays on the continent (can't remember make / model but probably French) that applied the emergency lights automatically when braking hard
    528i wrote:
    I've noticed most these huge 7-seaters have kids seated literally 1ft in front of the rear windowshield, feckin' lethal if you ask me..

Agree. Can we all stop this stupid fad now please and get back to buying saloons?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote:
    Agree. Can we all stop this stupid fad now please and get back to buying saloons?

It would want to be some size saloon to seat and belt up 7 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I agree about the Voyager - we investigated an accident some years back between a Voyager and a Ford Orion - it was the typical NCAP type crash head on - slightly offset - drivers side colliding with drivers side.
    The fairly old orion was practically demolished with severe intrusions into the drivers space.
    However the Voyager was also driven back badly - folded in basically on top of the driver - both drivers died. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

unkel wrote:
    that applied the emergency lights automatically when braking hard

Thought that was standard these days! My megane has it, and all new peugeots that i know of have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

unkel wrote:

Great idea. And families with four or more kids and go everywhere in 2 cars.:D

They have their place.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MrPudding wrote:
    Great idea. And families with four or more kids and go everywhere in 2 cars.:D

They have their place.

I suppose you're right. We can hardly put them all on the backseat / in the boot like we did a generation ago :D

My ranty remark was more geared towards 4WD cars really :)
    If the trend continues every parent in the country will buy a hummer when the first baby is on the way...

Advertisement