Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

White Smoke from Exaust

Options
  • 04-07-2005 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Bought a Mazda 323 1.5ltr 1998 saturday- cash buy from private owner.

Did full background check on car and owner and all seems fine. It passed its NCT a month ago! Did a test drive sat before buying it and all fine!

Started it up yesterday and white smoke started pouring out of the exaust -there was a smell of fuel from the smoke so almost sure it is not steam ( as my father suggested)

There is very little petrol in it, havent had a chance to put petrol in / drive it since then. Think it maybe a case that the inside of the petrol tank is dirty...if so, how do I clean it?

Any other suggestions??

N.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

White smoke is ok its a sign of a cold engine, if its blue or black smoke indicates poor oil or engine wear, thats what i was thought like. Fill the car with petrol to the brim and do this a good few things, never let the petrol run to low understand dirty will gather and this is a job to clean out and repair.

But seems grand, theres a smell of petrol from my car as well when you start it. 99 Astra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

If you see white "smoke" when the engine is hot then you got probs but from cold engine don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Thanks for the advice - will fill up the tank later and run it though a few tests. Not too worried about it, but best to get anothers opinion just incase!

N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

White "smoke" from a cold exhaust is steam or combustion generated H2O cooling on the exhaust pipe.
    Should stop as soon as the tailpipe heats up and nothing to worry about.
    "steam" from a hot engine and tailpipe would suggest water leaking into the intake, cylinder or exhaust and you should notice the water lever in the rad dropping accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭daithi

Hate to be the one to say it but it could be a head gasket... eeeeeeekkkkk :eek:
    Here are the list of symptoms
    http://www.allpar.com/eek/headgasket.html
    Keep an eye on the temperature gauge, until you verify its not that problem, bring it to a garage to be sure or bring it back to the person you bought it from and say no thanks.

btw the fuel smell... are you sure its not an antifreeze (coolant) smell?
    Also google white smoke from exhaust or white smoke head gasket
    this is worth a read too:
    http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/What_can_cause_white_smoke_from_the_exhaust

Get thee to a mechanic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Sigh, such newbs..

White smoke means a new pope has been elected, its nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

RotalicaV wrote:
    Sigh, such newbs..

White smoke means a new pope has been elected, its nothing to worry about.

Its actually my 4th car and this is the first time smoke has poured out of the exaust!

Daithi - I hope to god you are wrong!

Started it up this morning, and no smoke - ran like a dream!

Thanks for all yer help lads

N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

all cars produce white smoke at startup until the catalytic convertor heats up.
    hence cars failing nct on emissions , when cat not up to temperature ;)

Advertisement