Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy from Protected Sex

Options
  • 04-07-2005 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Is this frequent? I know that there is huge numbers of unwanted pregnancies, but im sure a lot of those people just didnt use contraception. What im wondering is how rare/common is pregnancy from protected sex? Is it all just a matter of how well you use the condom, or does it matter if the condom doesnt break?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well no form of contraception is 100% reliable...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

guestboy
    this forum is for PI's only
    moving this to Humanities
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I have the Baby to prove that protected sex isn't always very protective.

Lesson: Use more than one form of contraceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Guestboy wrote:
    Is this frequent? I know that there is huge numbers of unwanted pregnancies, but im sure a lot of those people just didnt use contraception. What im wondering is how rare/common is pregnancy from protected sex? Is it all just a matter of how well you use the condom, or does it matter if the condom doesnt break?

Even today 50% of pregnancies remain unplanned, and as you said, most of these are due to lack of contraception.

Not all forms of contraception are 100% reliable and reliability varies according to the type used, but most types are in the 95% - 100% range. For example:

Male Condom: Tests show that for every 100 couples who use the male condom very carefully and consistently, two women will get pregnant in a year. But with less careful and consistent use, up to 15 could get pregnant. It is important to use a quality condom - carefully - every time you have sex, whatever your contraceptive method. Look for the BSI Kitemark until the introduction of a new European Standard for condoms. Condoms meeting this new standard will display the CE Mark or the Kitemark.

Combined Pill: Tests show that for every 100 women who take the pill correctly for one year, less than one will get pregnant. But with less careful use three or more in 100 will get pregnant.

Natural Methods: There are various ways a woman can learn to recognise the fertile time and using a combination of indicators can increase confidence. Many studies have been carried out on natural methods which show a range of effectiveness from 2 pregnancies for every 100 couples using the method for a year to 20 pregnancies per 100 couples using the method for a year. Much depends on your reasons for using the method and the importance to you of success.

The above information is from http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/

As another poster stated, you could combine two types of contraception and reduce the risk of unwanted pregnancies to close to zero; I knew a girl who practiced this approach by combining the pill with condoms.

The best thing to do is to discuss the various options with your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Neuro wrote:
    As another poster stated, you could combine two types of contraception and reduce the risk of unwanted pregnancies to close to zero; I knew a girl who practiced this approach by combining the pill with condoms.
    Not an uncommon combination. Considering that only barrier methods protect against STIs and that the pill will work without any thought to contraception while you are actually having sex, it's a combination with merits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Talliesin wrote:
    Not an uncommon combination. Considering that only barrier methods protect against STIs and that the pill will work without any thought to contraception while you are actually having sex, it's a combination with merits.

It's a pity that the pill doesn't suit all women.

Any news on developments on the male version of the pill? I haven't seen anything on it for a bit, and I'm tired and couldn't be bothered to google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

The pill consists of two hormones: testosterone and a progestin. Presenting the results at the International Congress of Endocrinology, Italian and American researchers said that in all eight Italian men they tested, the pill lowered sperm counts to very low levels. Half the men had sperm counts of zero.

And so far, this pill appears to have few ill side effects.

"This combination has been remarkably free of side effects so far," Dr. Bremner said, "but as I've stressed, it's quite early with relatively few men, so it's possible something additional could turn up."

Researchers have tried for years to develop a birth control pill for men, but there have always been drawbacks, such as toxicity or causing impotence or long-term infertility.

Offa http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9606/13/nfm/male.birth.control/

Still looking good but no release dates as of yet

\edit\ Found it

April 2, 1996
    Web posted at: 3:30 p.m. EST
    "This research has been going on for many years and still has a long way to go before it's a marketable contraceptive," she says. The drug is not expected to reach consumers for at least another five to 10 years.

Offa http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9604/02/nfm/

So some time soon maybe? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How safe is a condom/pill combination?

Its the only way to go :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Shabadu wrote:
    I have the Baby to prove that protected sex isn't always very protective.

Lesson: Use more than one form of contraceptive.
    Indeed, use several condoms - and maybe a mars bar wrapper for added safety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭1

How safe is a condom/pill combination?

Its the only way to go :cool:

Like all tools they are only as good as the people using them.

Some thing simple like anti boitics can render the pill usless for a time.
    There are some pills that require and almost miltary percision in sticking to the schedual. And to miss one... means start again like you just got them... not thinking the next one brings you back in sync.
    I am no expert on it all but I am sure there are some out there than can give more detail. But lets face it.. no one really reads the information/packets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

1 wrote:
    Like all tools they are only as good as the people using them.

Some thing simple like anti boitics can render the pill usless for a time.
    There are some pills that require and almost miltary percision in sticking to the schedual. And to miss one... means start again like you just got them... not thinking the next one brings you back in sync.
    I am no expert on it all but I am sure there are some out there than can give more detail. But lets face it.. no one really reads the information/packets.

Man, I think people read the packets on things like the contraceptive pill! But anyway, you not correct there really - very few pills require military precision. Most of them are moderately flexible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Me and the gf always used to use both pill and condom, but after 3 years of doing this it got tiresome to say the least.

So for the last couple of weeks we haven't used a condom, and it's quite scary, even tho the pill she uses is 99% effective, we both can't help but feel paranoid, but it's something that we'll get used to in time.

I don't even cum inside her, sorry to be soo blunt!:)

So that coupled with the pill means that chances of pregnancy are still almost non exsistent, i just have to keep telling myself that. 'almost non exsistent' almost! someone say it with me.

And to people who use both pill AND condom who still get pregnant, i know that there is a chance of it happening, but every time i hear of it i can't help but think they didn't do everything according to plan?? split condoms maybe? missed pills etc.. who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well no form of contraception is 100% reliable...

NO

I believe that form has an almost 100% success rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

goddamit, i knew i shoudn't have looked at this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Male Condom: Tests show that for every 100 couples who use the male condom very carefully and consistently, two women will get pregnant in a year.

This is inaccurate.
    Two condoms will break a year is more accurate, but infact the figure is roughly 1.3 if you use a high quality brand(Durex would be a high quality brand)

If you use the pill and a condom, these things would have to happen for you to get pregnant.

Condom would have to break(2 in 100)
    Pill would have to fail(1 in a year)
    Then variables come into play
    Time of the month
    and actualy becoming pregnant.

You are looking at roughly a
    1 in 10000 chance of pregnancy if you use both the pill/condom

And after that, there is always the choice option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement