Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UHF/VHF TV Aerial - where?

Options
  • 04-07-2005 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Looking for a supplier of a terrestrial tv aerial. Tried Maplins but they supply UHF only.
    An outlet where i could pick one of these up would be convenient if located in Galway/Roscommon/Athlone - but could probably buy in Dublin if anyone knows where to source them there..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ffocused

www.zintek.tv Based in tallaght. Not sure if they deliver, but they definitely sell them.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd have thought any aerial installer or electrical shop should have them. You could try Peats.ie too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I'd have thought any aerial installer or electrical shop should have them.
    Yeah, they do for sure - but the ones i've tried seem to be interested in supply and install as opposed to supply only. Install i can do myself.

Thanks ffocused - will get in contact with them tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Got mine from cpc - delivered in a couple of days. Tried peats, but they're to order only, and way above the online price of cpc even allowing for delivery. They have both VHF Band III aerials and a wide selection of UHF aerials...

Edit - cpc.co.uk I think is the website

byte

Also Dönberg Electronics:
    http://www.donberg.ie/warehs/group01.htm

• Advertisement

Cheers macy/byte. I thought i was sorted when I checked out the cpc catalogue - they have a comprehensive listing of gear. I'm holding out for an 'all in one uhf/vhf aerial - would just be neater and handier to put up.
    Nothing on donbergs list for outdoors by the looks of it..
    Still waiting on zintek to get back to me..

Eurorunner wrote:
    Cheers macy/byte. I thought i was sorted when I checked out the cpc catalogue - they have a comprehensive listing of gear. I'm holding out for an 'all in one uhf/vhf aerial - would just be neater and handier to put up.
    Nothing on donbergs list for outdoors by the looks of it..
    Still waiting on zintek to get back to me..
    I've read that the combined aerials aren't as effective, and I must say in my set up the UHF and VHF are at slightly different angles (even though both coming from the same transmitter). Anyway, good luck in the hunt... :)

byte

Eurorunner, I would strongly suggest you avoid combined aerials. They may be easier to put up, but as Macy says, they're not as affective.

byte wrote:
    Eurorunner, I would strongly suggest you avoid combined aerials. They may be easier to put up, but as Macy says, they're not as affective.

Well, I would have been replacing a combo aerial that picked up all four (and UK channels when deflector existed) without any probs until a few of the elements fell off.
    Having said that, I don't seem to be having much luck sourcing one and time is ticking away. I'm a bit confused as to whats needed with two seperate aerials to get this down a single cable run. Don't suppose you could point out what exactly you ordered up from cpc before Macy?

Eurorunner wrote:
    Having said that, I don't seem to be having much luck sourcing one and time is ticking away. I'm a bit confused as to whats needed with two seperate aerials to get this down a single cable run. Don't suppose you could point out what exactly you ordered up from cpc before Macy?
    I got...
    AFUF24 UHF AERIAL COMBINER - UF24
    AP00358 PRECISION MASTHEAD AMP 22DB VHF/UHF
    AP0085012 P100/1 100MA MASTHEAD PSU
    AP00507 TRIAX BAND III AERIAL 7 ELEMENT
    APT-108012 BB GRID AERIAL

I don't think the masthead amp would necessarily be a must. I got it because a) I wanted to try loft install on our exposed site b) I was unconvinced about the quality of coax on a fairly significant run c) although not far from Kippure there's a possibility of we're in a shadow where our house is. I would probably have gone lower gain if they had it.

The combiner does FM up to UHF 24 on the low side so I used that as the combiner.

The Grid aerial is fine for group C/D, I've heard less effective for other groups. Plus I wanted a wideband for possible digital, if the aerial survives the 20 years before we have it.

Works well for me anyway, but I am open to advice from the experts. First time dealing with VHF tv so this is just from my own research.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Macy. Will probably order up same kit.

I finally ordered up this kit.

@macy/anyone in the know:

UHF Aerial & VHF Aerial -> Combiner -> Masthead Amp - TV

Is this the correct order of things? ie. should the Amp go after the combiner - or is it just for use for just one of the two aerials?

<EDIT> Installed it as above - RTE1/NET2/TV3 are grand. TNG for some reason - i'm finding difficult to get a crisp picture on - but I will have another go at tweaking it when i have some more time.</EDIT>

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

whereu base euro? wat transmitter u using?

Galway wrote:
    whereu base euro? wat transmitter u using?

Based in Dunmore area. I rescanned tonight and picked it up (TG4) with a good crisp picture - so have all four coming from Cairn Hill. Don't know why i couldnt get it earlier.

Whilst i'm at it, I want to try and see if I can get reception from Balla. Do you think this is possible with this aerial? If so, how can i best go about tuning this in? I have done a bit of reading and see talk of channel numbers - but when i tune in stuff on my TV, it just shows frequency?? How can I find the right frequency (as opposed to channel no.) to set the tv to - so that the picture will show if i swing the aerial in the right direction?

I hope the above makes sense - i'm not all that clued-up on this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Eurorunner wrote:
    I have done a bit of reading and see talk of channel numbers - but when i tune in stuff on my TV, it just shows frequency?? How can I find the right frequency (as opposed to channel no.) to set the tv to - so that the picture will show if i swing the aerial in the right direction?
    one source of UHF channel frequency is this
    http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/ukuhf.htm

use the vision carrier as the frequency to tune to

one source of UHF channel frequency is this
    http://www.wolfbane.com/articles/ukuhf.htm

use the vision carrier as the frequency to tune to
    Cheers for that Antenna.

Brougher Mountain

BBC 1 BBC 2 ITV CH 4
    22 28 25 32

22=478.25
    25=503.25
    28= 527.25
    32=559.25

I set TV to 503.25 and pointed antenna towards Brougher but it seems I'm out of range - but at least I know now for sure.

Advertisement