Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carding grant scheme changes

Options
  • 04-07-2005 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Been hearing a nasty rumour for the last few weeks now, and it seems that it's actually correct. It appears that the Irish Sports Council, as part of it's carding grant scheme review (these are the grants given to individual athletes like Sonia O'Sullivan and the like so that they can train for international matches) will be announciing that only olympic shooting sports will be eligible for grants from this year on. :(
    Anyone else heard of this?
    I'm a bit annoyed about it to be honest - while I can understand why they're annoyed at learning that not every shooter with a carding grant is going for an olympic discipline, despite their being let believe that that was the case, that doesn't mean that there aren't very deserving shooters who represent Ireland abroad very well and who deserve funding as a result. Several of the silhouette shooters including Nick Flood would fall into that category, along with the DTL teams, probably the IPSA teams in a few years when they've gotten themselves organised, Palma shooters (again, in a few years), and a few others like those who'd shoot the Pershing Match or other such disciplines that aren't in the olympic programme (or, as in some cases, aren't in it any more for various reason like the increasing cost of land for ranges).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I can only agree, as the RD for the IPSA we had looked at the funding available from the Sports Council for both a coaching import and sport development. I am disappointed that shooters of Nicholas Flood,s ability and many others are going to suffer, how many European Champions do we have in any sport? lets up that in the future shooting sports will flourish whether its 10mt Air Rifle or Practical Pistol.

Advertisement