Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derek's classic album of the week

• 04-07-2005 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

This may or may not be a reoccurring thread depending on wheatear or not Im bored and have a few minutes to spare each week.
    anyway the album I have chosen is Gang of Four-Entertainment!

Released in 1979 the album by the Leeds 4 piece named after a communist revolutionary group is in my opinion outstanding
    From the opining few bars of the first track Ether the album hammers you with pounding funky bass lines, chainsaw like guitars and great angry political vocals .
    The whole albums is Lyrically and Musically amazing "Love will get you like a case on anthrax, and thats something I dont want to catch" or "Gorilla war struggle is the new Entertainment" being my favourite lines. Tracks like Damaged Goods and “I found that essence rare” are great danceable anthems while tracks like 5.45 a comment on media coverage of conflict and Ether mainly about Northern Ireland manage to be political without preaching. “Anthrax” is just mind blowing a complete mess of feedback and distortion its arguably the best song on the album it was originally the closing track before the bonus tracks were added for the reissue.

I am a big fan of post punk and in my opinion this is the best album the genre produced.
    so many bands have been influenced/stolen from this band the likes of big black,fugazi and rage against the machine may never have happened if it wasnt for this album and more recently the likes of The Rapture,Bloc Party and numerous others from the recent post punk revival sound a lot like this album.

The likes of Michael Stipe, Bono, Flea, Micheal Hutchence, Kurt Cobian are some of the celebrity fans of the album.

I extremely recommend buying or downloading this album I think I saw it for E8 on sale in tower.

The band released 3 more great albums before splitting then partially reforming for 2 more in the 90's and the original line up got back together this year for the first time since 82.
    Andy Gill went on to produce red hot chilli peppers,the futerheads and Killing Joke among others
    Dave Allen joined the also great Skreikback after the second gang of four album
    Hugo Burnam achieved a top ten hit playing drums on the sam fox song "touch me" which Im sure he is immensely proud of

anyway get this album

Comments

Advertisement