Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clifford Car Alarm

Options
  • 03-07-2005 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Does anyone know somebody who can fit a second hand Clifford alarm with remote start in the Sligo area? I have tired a few places but they wont touch it because it has remote start.

any help would be much appreciated

Jon

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What reason did they give for not wanting to wire the remote start? I mean, how hard can it be for an auto electrician with half a brain?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FTO

They didnt give a reason its "no problem" until they hear its got a remote start then their not interested. One guy did say he would have a look but he said "i cant promise anything" no way was i going to leave my car with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

ebay for a cd and manual on how to fit it, its not really easy, but its not far from it for anyone with an interest in electronics and a bit of common sense.

Few of my friends have bought and fitted them without any problems.

If your really stuck theres an auto shop up in Letterkenny called Northern Sounds that supplies and fits them, the guy that runs it is sound and would probably sort you out

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I can do it for you, but im in Galway, wont be moving to Sligo until September! PM me details of your car & the model cobra alarm

Installed a remote start in my own car... well handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

FTO: have a look at www.the12volt.com, it's a fantastic resourse - the forum there is really helpful.

I fitted a Clifford Avantgard 5 to my motor and found it straightforward since I already had a wiring diagram for my car - plus the instructions that come with the kit are very clear. Having said that, I elected not to fit the remotestart just out of personal choice.

It's all very straightforward - I don't see any reason why there's any distaste over fitting the remotestart - unless it's for insurance/safety worries ? It's pretty cool though - not only can you start the car from the remote fob, you can have the car start itself if the temperature falls too low (and you want the engine turned over from time to time), or if the battery charge falls too low and you need the car to keep itself topped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

How does the remote start work around cars with an engine immobiliser? (Transponder in the key)

Perhaps this is why some installers may shy away from them???

DC.

You have to over-ride the factory immoboliser

Thanks to everyone who got back.

I car i am fitting it to doesn't have a transponder key but i was talking to a guy in the UK and he maintains any good auto electician should be able to bypass that anyway. May be its an insurance thing incase they fry the ECU or something.

Thanks again

Not an insurance thing. They just dont want someone coming back to them saying "My car was nicked after you installed an alarm" ... hence trying to put the blame on the alarm fitter.

What model is it?

Its a Clifford Solaris G4 with remote start. I also have the SMARTWINDOWS IV addon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm trying really hard to think what use remote start would be........

Seven Worlds will Collide

I'm trying really hard to think what use remote start would be........

1) Pre-heat the car on cold days (to heat both the car and the engine/oil up before driving)

2) Cool the car down in summer (if you have A/C)

DC.

My car's currently parked in a basement directly below me, so I'd love to fit remote start to it for precisely that first reason, but I wouldn't trust any of the muppets or thieves down here in Cork to fit one. So I'm stuck with the already fitted piece of crap that requires me to be so close to the car before it'll deactivate, I'm virtually making love to it. (I just thought you guys'd like that image. :))

adam

FTO - if you decide not to install it ill buy it off you, im after blowing the PCB on my remote start :(

(Long story - long day!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 valkeire

Hi,
    Just a quick thought, does the Clifford alarm, like a lot of top range alarms not have all black wires for security, and these have the wire numbers on the end of each wire. When the alarm is fitted, usually the wires are shortened or cut, leaving no way of knowing which wire is which. This could be a big problem when fitting a secondhand alarm, (unless the remover marked each wire).

Regards,
    Valkeire.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

You guys must know your stuff to install a Clifford properly.

On my third officially installed Clifford and have had no probs in the last 7 years but from being on the Scoobynet Alarm section I know that a badly installed Clifford will break your heart.

Loads of cowboys out there say they can install them but a few weeks down the road and all hell breaks lose.

Clifford AFAIK have only one official installer in Dublin but I am open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

How much does one of these cost? Not sure If I'd like to remote start my car to let it heat up and just have it running there on it's own. Does this render the key useless and turn on all other equipment like the stereo and elec windows?

The car stays alarmed. I think they start at about 500/600 smackers.

Anyone ever had a Toad? I remember them being the new Clifford a while back, but they don't have an obvious web presence now.

adam

Toad are very good also. They're still very popular in the UK.

DC.

Advertisement