Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taming Cats

Options
  • 03-07-2005 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Recently acquired two kittens.

How do I 'tame/train' them.
    To let them know who's boss and to make them respond etc..

Basically to make them more like dogs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

they're cats, not dogs. it's a rare cat that'll follow commands, and feline superiority is ingrained in every cat I've ever met.

that said, I've heard that spraying them with a bit of water from a squirt-gun is a good way to punish them for doing something you don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Recently acquired two kittens.

How do I 'tame/train' them.
    To let them know who's boss and to make them respond etc..

Basically to make them more like dogs.

Cats are not dogs !!! You can not train them to do things like a dog. They do what they want and see you as an equal were as dogs see you as their master and do things to please you. Cat's do things to please themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I disagree.

A friend of mine showed me a big huge encyclopedia on cats.
    In the cat pshycology section, it said that rubbing their stomach and the soles of their back feet is a way to assert your dominance.

Dogs can differentiate between good and bad, do/don't do.
    Dogs even grasp vocal orders.

I just want to know is it possible to, say....if the cat jumps up on the dinner table, no amount of shouting at it makes it get down.
    Is there anyway to get this type of 'taming' with cats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

if it jumps on the table, pick it up, put it firmly on the floor and bop it on the nose. not too hard, obviously, just enough to show your disapproval.

and if you're going to try rubbing your cat's belly, be careful... cats only expose their undersides when they really trust you - lying on their back is a very vulnerable position. so going to touch their stomach when they're like that can make even the friendliest cat nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well I'm giving it shot.
    Also, the book said that cats don't respond to punishments like hitting or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Its worth a try - however the best way to do it is to bring a cat up around dogs. Ours was convinced she was a dog - and whilst she wouldnt obey commands - with the odd exception of coming up to bed - she quite often would respond to 'walkies' and come along with the dogs. :) Used to freak other people out!
    Also she used to pant like a dog too - which I've never seen another cat do.

Our cat didnt respond well to punishments - but did respond to repetition.

Cats also expose their bellies as a hunting trick waiting to close 4 sets of sharp claws around their 'attacker'. Cheetah's (or one of the big cats) do it for real in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Its worth a try - however the best way to do it is to bring a cat up around dogs. Ours was convinced she was a dog - and whilst she wouldnt obey commands - with the odd exception of coming up to bed - she quite often would respond to 'walkies' and come along with the dogs. :) Used to freak other people out!
    Also she used to pant like a dog too - which I've never seen another cat do.

Our cat didnt respond well to punishments - but did respond to repetition.

Cats also expose their bellies as a hunting trick waiting to close 4 sets of sharp claws around their 'attacker'. Cheetah's (or one of the big cats) do it for real in the wild.

My cat was brought up around dogs and has picked up some commands such as "Out" and when it is said she walks out of the house. When i bring the dogs for a walk she will also try and follow and also if she hears the leads been taken out she will run to the door like the dogs but she never panted...

No cat responds well to punishment and will even stirke back if you give them a little clip on the nose, they like to be the boss and they are their own masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Physical punishment is a no-no with any animal. But with cats you'll learn that quickly yourself ...they'll have your hand shredded before you can say "ouch".

While it is hard to train cats tricks / commands, they respond very well to routine. A firm "no" will show effect after a while, same as praise (verbal).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If a person is going to hit any pet then they shouldn't bother getting one in the first place.

Cats are not dogs, they prefer to do as they please. They will pick up on things like 'get down' or 'out' etc. over time but they are more independantly minded.
    You should not expect a cat to obey your every command like a dog might, they should be taken for what they are..cats.
    If you want a cat that's like a dog get a dog.
    There are ways to tame and calm cats but physical punishment of any kind is not the way to do it.
    Some cats take time and patience, some know full well it's naughty to jump on the table but they will still try and try again. My 16 year old cat knows not to but she still will do when she feels like it, because she's a cat and she can :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

We got a cat a couple of months ago. It's difficult teaching them what to do and what not to do. If the cat jumps up on the kitchen table for example and you don't want it to do that, try to cover the table completely with foil or plastic film for a few days. Apparently the cats don't like the feeling on their feet.
    Using water or any other physical punishment is not advisable as the cat wouldn't understand it and just gets scared of you.

There are a few very good articles on cat 'education' on http://www.kittenadoption.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

cats can easily be thought the difference of right and wrong ... now wether they give a **** or not is a different story! Both my cats know their names and know what 'no' means. More 'AH Ah ah a!' with a shocked high pitch tone when they go to scratch something. If you play with the cat as a kitten ... let it roll over on its back and bite/claw/kick your hand they trust you cause they know you are playing and won't hurt them. Tuna is what I trained my cats with. Spraying them with water just pisses them off ... although has to be done when they decide to hide at the back of the cupboard or under the bed when they know they should be outside.... best just to coax them with tuna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I disagree that you should`nt use phsyical punishment. It depends on the definition of phsyical and that there is no time lapse.

If a horse bit or kicked me I would kick or bite or slapped it on the shoulder/neck back.If a horse does this they are doing it out of disrespect. Out in the herd if an equine bit or kicked a higher ranking individual there wouldbe swift retribution, no fannying about. With horses it is important that you be the leader due to their size and strength. When my cat does something that she knows she is not allowed to do and I catch her doing it she gets a light slap on the bum and I make a big cofuffle about it. With animals it is important that you are consistent in your behaviour so they know where they stand. With cats it can be difficult as they thoroughly believe they are the owners and us the servants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 storm_jet

the best way to taming a cat is when yo catch them doing something you dont want them to do is to put them out everytime and they will learn if they do it again they go out. it worked for my 3 cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

ive had enough cats in my time . the only vocal correction that ever made any difference what so ever is a loud "psssssst". dunno why, but they run whenever i do it. i guess it sounds enough like a bigger cat hissing at them to cause intimidation. anyway, its better than smacking them :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kambika wrote:
    There are a few very good articles on cat 'education' on http://www.kittenadoption.ie/
    /me wants a cabbit.. "And I will love him and pet him and love him and squeeze him and call him George."

You also need some space for the cat to get away from you, they like to look down on us, I'd swear she's demanding "Nowww!" most of the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Have a look here, you'll have to register but you'll find lots of info and cats and cat husbandry

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx

Advertisement