Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for something back

Options
  • 03-07-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey,

I lent something to a friend over a year ago, and although at the time I gave it to him I made it clear I was only lending it too him, I allways suspected he tought I had given it too him for keeps, though I never did try clear it up with him as I was afraid how it would damage the friendship and also because I hadn't needed it.

However now I need it, and the way he talks about it is as if its his.

Weve been friends for years, but its allways been a casual friendship, like it could be weeks or a month or two without speaking just because of scheduels.

How do i go about asking for it back? Or should I just forget about (which I really dont want to do).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

how about you grow a pair of balls and ask for it back?

seriously, if it's only a casual friendship it shouldn't matter too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It's something you own, ask for it back. If he is a "friend" he won't have any problems with it and will appreciate you allowing him the use of whatever it is for more than a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

What the hell is it that requires you to take it back? I would ask for it back or you could use the chickens way out and just buy a new one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Did you lend him your soul or testicles? If not, ask for a 'loan' of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

pickarooney please be civil

Please read the charter,
    have a nice day.
    Thaed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

how about you grow a pair of balls and ask for it back?

seriously, if it's only a casual friendship it shouldn't matter too much.
    Im with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Gimmegimme wrote:
    How do i go about asking for it back?

Can i have(insrt objects name here) back. Its Mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

4Xcut wrote:
    Can i have(insrt objects name here) back. Its Mine
    Thats it in plain English

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"I need the ...., can I pick it up later?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

that happened to a mate of mine, she went to the other persons house with a bag and just took all of the stuff that was her's.....it was a lot!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

there's no other way than "can i have _______ back please, i need it". Just be strong and confident about it. Don't be "em, you wouldn't mind if i took back _____ for a while, i kinda need it" as that wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ladypawpaw

Gimmegimme wrote:
    How do i go about asking for it back? Or should I just forget about (which I really dont want to do).

It is your property!! You shouldn't "ask" for it back, you tell the person (in a polite way) to give it back.

It sounds to me that this person is taking advantage to you, considering they are talking about the item in question as though it is theirs.

p.s. Don't lend anything to anyone ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I have a rule that i abide by, if a friend loans me something, then after a year or so, if i still have it, it's officially mine. end of..

Unless he asks for it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah, its mine, why the hell was I thinking about forgeting about it.

And he just really pee'd me off today, so ill use the rage >:)

and anyway if this is the wrong way to go about it, who cares, never lending crap anymore.

Advertisement