Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone here joined the IPSA

Options
  • 02-07-2005 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hello All,
    I would like to ask,has anyone here joined the IPSA?
    with respect to the founder members,
    I would like to hear only from new members,who joined since it was announced here on the boards.ie.

What are your impressions of the IPSA?

Is it worth joining?

what if anything, is the IPSA doing for practical pistol shooting in the Republic of Ireland?

this is not meant as a dig at the IPSA so please do not take it as such,
    its just, I have not heard anything about it since the initial announcement.

Dvs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

I joined it.AFIK they are looking for a range and there was/is supposedly somthing going to occur with MRC.They did hold an open day introductory shoot up in NI in May.Trouble is,it is early days yet,and things is progressing slowly.So I wouldnt expect wonders just yet,what with our police supers taking their respective attitudes to granting pistol liscenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Haven't joined it, but that's because I've got issues with shooting anything, be it guns, bows or tiddlywinks, at a human or humanoid target. I am glad, however, to see a seperate autonomous governing body for practical pistol - this malarky with the NRPAI (or certain individuals therein) trying to act as a governing body was just unacceptable. And the ISPA does seem to be taking safety as the main concern, which is reassuring - practical pistol has got some serious problems to address on the PR front, and that's one of the best ways of doing it.

As to whether it's worth joining, well, are you interested in shooting competitively? Because if you are, and you want to go abroad, they're the only group that can send a national team, as they are the ones recognised by the IPSC. Same as the NTSA & ICPSA are the ones recognised by ISSF, and the NSA by the IMSSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello Sparks,
    with the greatest respect to you and your opinions on practical shooting,
    it really is getting old that everytime practical shooting is mentioned you feel obliged to express your personal view that, shooting humaniod targets is bad !and not to mention your ongoing, have a bash at the SSAI vendeta.

<quote>
    "but that's because I've got issues with shooting anything, be it guns, bows or tiddlywinks, at a human or humanoid target. I am glad, however, to see a seperate autonomous governing body for practical pistol - this malarky with the NRPAI (or certain individuals therein) trying to act as a governing body was just unacceptable."</quote>

Nobody else here that I am aware of keeps rehashing their opinions to this extent.
    if you don't like practical shooting, good for you ,
    but everyone here is aware of your opinion,
    please refrain from restating it, again and again.

I and many others here who have no interest in the air rifle shooting that you are involved in,don't feel the need to have a swipe at it,
    just because we might not want to do it, or see the point of it!

Dvs

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Dvs wrote:
    or see the point of it!

I hate to ask this but what is the point? Surely , the only benefit of shooting humanoids is for military or gardai personnel. Otherwise its only use is to increase your ability to harm another being. They should be outlawed imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

C'mon guy's ..

let's not get into that most traditional of Irish sports...
    I.e. "Fighting amongst ourselves " :(

I think that while we may have diverse opinions on various aspects of shooting,and have the right to express our likes and our dislikes.
    That is in the best spirit of democracy.

The notion of agreeing to differ on our differences, is what should make our voices even more united in the face of those who would oppose all forms of our sport .

I used the phrase "Our sport" as a deliberate reminder that air-powered or powder - powered ..it is all shooting as far as I am concerned.

It all deserves our support ..if not our personal enjoyment of each form that it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

6par9w.gif

I hate to ask this but what is the point?

The point, is personal choice of the shooting sport you wish to take part in.
    Surely , the only benefit of shooting humanoids is for military or gardai personnel. Otherwise its only use is to increase your ability to harm another being.

This is the most hilarious thing i've heard,
    IPSC is an internationally recognised sport practiced worldwide,
    perhaps you are unaware of that?
    If you take your thinking to it's logical conclusion,everything shaped like a circle that exist in the world would be in danger, from people shooting circular targets in their shooting sport,how could they stop themselves from shooting them?

(See circle, must shoot, can't stop myself!!!!!) :rolleyes:

Martial artists could not be permitted to mix with others in society,
    incase they could not resist the overpowering urge to beat people to a pulp.

Butchers would have to be restrained from butchering every living thing.

If you really think that you could not shoot a humaniod shaped target, without being somehow turned into a threat to society and a killing machine.

Then this does not speak well of you as a person,
    and may require professional help.

I doubt this is in fact the case.
    They should be outlawed imo.

Ha Ha Ha !
    so if you don't like it outlaw it!
    a very open minded approach to others. :rolleyes:

Dvs

jaycee wrote:
    C'mon guy's ..

let's not get into that most traditional of Irish sports...
    I.e. "Fighting amongst ourselves " :(

I think that while we may have diverse opinions on various aspects of shooting,and have the right to express our likes and our dislikes.
    That is in the best spirit of democracy.

The notion of agreeing to differ on our differences, is what should make our voices even more united in the face of those who would oppose all forms of our sport .

jaycee,
    I personally do not draw any distinction between one shooting sport and another,and I fully support others right to take part in them,
    even if i would not like to.

It is to the benefit of all those of us involved in shooting to present a united front with all shooting sports.

This however cuts both ways,and my objections to the comments about practical shooting being restated at every opportunity, by sparks, are reasonable.

I have no problem with agreeing to differ,but it counts for nothing, if the other parties,continue differing in public on this forum at every opportunity.

Dvs.

Okay. Thats fine. I respect your opinion that its healthy for someone with access to firearms to pretend to and learn how to shoot at other humans. Whatever...

• Advertisement

Okay. Thats fine. I respect your opinion that its healthy for someone with access to firearms to pretend to and learn how to shoot at other humans. Whatever...

Okay, thats fine,
    I appreciate you are unable to distinguish between a taking part in a recognised shooting sport, and being incapable of stopping oneself taking part in the commission of a criminal act.

Perhaps,a career in the media or politics beckons you. :rolleyes:

now do you mind, if this thread could revert back to my original question.

Many thank's

Dvs

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

I hate to ask this but what is the point? Surely , the only benefit of shooting humanoids is for military or gardai personnel. Otherwise its only use is to increase your ability to harm another being. They should be outlawed imo.
    Ah lads, if you follow that line of thinking then why stop there, lets ban toy sucker dart guns, playstations and make kids playing soldiers a subversive act :D

DvS,
    You did ask for opinions!
    And frankly, there's a reason I keep stating my personal position on practical pistol - namely that after the Tirol Open incident, I've learnt that it was spread around that I was vehemently opposed to practical pistol and hated its very existance and thought that anyone who shot it was a nutter.
    Now, given that I said very explicitly (and it's still up on the board if anyone ever wanted to check) that my problem with the Tirol Open was with the people who organised the team, and not with the shooters who went off, I'm a bit miffed over this. And so I restate my personal position on the matter whenever it comes up in the perhaps-in-vain hope that those who got lied to about what I thought of the discipline will learn that they were lied to.

On top of that, I'm trying to be concious of the fact that we're trying to run a forum for all disciplines to be able to chat in as equals, and I don't want people to think that I'd go editing or deleting posts because of a personal bias against their discipline.

No sparks ,
    I did not ask for opinions! on the topics you covered.

I asked,
    What are your impressions of the IPSA?

Is it worth joining?

what if anything, is the IPSA doing for practical shooting in the Republic of Ireland?

Not requests for opinions on the sport of practical shooting or the type of targets used,or the SSAI's role in shooting sports!

Have a look at virtually every thread that mentions practical shooting and you restate this opinion everytime.

so please do us all a favour, and give it a rest!

Dvs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Dvs wrote:
    Have a look at virtually every thread that mentions practical shooting and you restate this opinion everytime.

so please do us all a favour, and give it a rest!

Well said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

And you dont think you could learn this by shooting at bullseye targets???
    Or sitting down for a couple of days and having a go at Grand theft Auto Vice city,or maybe learn some tactics by playing Navy Seals SOCOM?Most of these games are derivatives fromUS military combat simulators[with better graphics DOOM being the most famous].
    Folks,may I suggest you do a web search for "Mr Turkey" targets.These are the newest three dimensional police targets.They have an outer pic of a hoodlum,under that, the pics of the vital organs,under that, the skeleton.
    They have been banned by at least a half dozen countries,even to their police forces!These are the ones you want for learning how to kill people,not a glorified odd shaped bullseye.
    And please dont bring up the old chestnut that practical pistol,rifle and shotgun can train you in better shooting tactics,that will beat any SWAT squad!You dont start a gunfight with your hands on your head for example].As one who has done BG work and trained with police tactics,I can assure all and sundry that practical shooting and real life tactics are as different as chalk and cheese.

I'm refaring only to the holders of firearms not sticky dart guns etc... They may learn but are only a danger when they obtain a firearm.

Well then if there is no difference why dont you make a lot of people happier , more than likely the government included by shooting circle? You said they are they same thing so why do you chose they one that make people think "hooloigan" or "Criminal" . Tell me one reason why Human/oid targets are better than standard targets otherwise I'm not going to waste my time argueing the matter. (and that is not from a military or police perspective btw)

Citizen_Erased,
    I had a look at your previous posts in your profile,
    the one that really caught my attention was the one about your junior cert geography paper, that you sat this year in june 2005.

While I commend, your apparent conviction to your ideals and opinons,
    these are nearly always more informed and tempered, with a little life experience.

And I feel your belief that shooting humaniod targets is training to shoot people is obviously flawed, as you according to your posts play a great deal of computer shooting games (metal gear solid etc.)with no adverse psycologicial effects!

Also I doubt playing grand theft auto, has driven you to steal cars!

In answer to your question,
    <quote>
    Tell me one reason why Human/oid targets are better than standard targets otherwise I'm not going to waste my time argueing the matter. (and that is not from a military or police perspective btw)

</quote>

Because these are the targets for the shooting sport in question IPSC !

And if you were shooting smallbore rifle, or fita archery they would not be the targets for the sport in question! and would not therefore be suitable for those sports.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Dvs wrote:
    Citizen_Erased,
    was the one about your junior cert geography paper, that you sat this year in june 2005

An excellent retort Dvs.

I sent off my application for IPSA today and thought I might get the lowdown on what I can expect in this thread, but so far its been fruitless. You cant ask a straight question and get a straight answer anymore, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Dvs wrote:
    Hello All,
    I would like to ask,has anyone here joined the IPSA?
    with respect to the founder members,
    I would like to hear only from new members,who joined since it was announced here on the boards.ie.
    Dvs

:(

• Advertisement

What , you think your automatically more responsible than me because you're older? Im leagally allowed to use and own a firearm , if that was what you were getting at.

And your reason for shooting the target just seems utterly childish to me. Because thats why , is what it seemed to be. So for that reason , I see no need to argue with because you cannot , even yourself , provide a genuine reason for using such targets over standard one.

(ps WTF , looking up my post history , how much do you suck ,that because you couldnt answer my question that you went to dig up dirt on me?)

Okay, enough of that. Play the ball, not the man. That's the moderator hat I'm wearing now.

Citizen_Erased,
    I'm sure if you re-read my post you would see i did answer your question.

In answer to your question,
    <quote>
    Tell me one reason why Human/oid targets are better than standard targets otherwise I'm not going to waste my time argueing the matter. (and that is not from a military or police perspective btw)

</quote>

Because these are the targets for the shooting sport in question IPSC !

And if you were shooting smallbore rifle, or fita archery they would not be the targets for the sport in question! and would not therefore be suitable for those sports.

Gunshy,
    I, as I said in my original post,
    mean no disrespect to you and your fellow founders,
    I just want to hear from others who have joined since it was formed.

Dvs.

That still isnt answer. Look , enough is enough and no one is getting anywhere here. Lets just call it a day.

Dvs wrote:
    Citizen_Erased,
    Gunshy,
    I, as I said in my original post,
    mean no disrespect to you and your fellow founders,
    I just want to hear from others who have joined since it was formed.
    Dvs.

:):):):):)

Citizen_Erased,
    then on this issue we can respectfully differ.

Regards,
    Dvs.

Sparks,
    It is something of a conflict of interest, to put on you moderators hat in a thread that you hijacked in the first instance. :(

Now if somebody could please let us know the answers to my initial questions,
    I would be very glad.

chipboard,
    please inform the board of how your membership of the IPSA helps you in your pistol shooting endeavours.

Since,
    nobody has really been willing or able to tell me how things are going for the IPSA,then maybe one of the founder members, could enlighten us as to progress and such.

Dvs.

It is something of a conflict of interest, to put on you moderators hat in a thread that you hijacked in the first instance.
    Not over an ad hominem line of postings, it's not. Civ would have said the same thing, in fact any moderator on the site in any of the forums would have done so. CE's age doesn't invalidate his opinions. They might be wrong, they might be right - but either way, it's not going to be determined by his age.

Sparks wrote:
    Not over an ad hominem line of postings, it's not. Civ would have said the same thing, in fact any moderator on the site in any of the forums would have done so. CE's age doesn't invalidate his opinions. They might be wrong, they might be right - but either way, it's not going to be determined by his age.

I never said his age invalidated his opinions,
    only that life experience might temper them somewhat.

I also, pointed out, that his own experience of computer games featuring shooting people, and stealing cars had not turned him into a threat to society unable to distinguish between game and real life!

this in my opinion invalidates his argument.

Dvs.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Games never really do that to people. They have it in them already , just maybe the games bring it out or the media makes the link. Of course though they can affect young children but that is why they are not intended for them.

People cant guess may age until I tell them. Their reactions are annoying and they change their attitude towards just completely because of it. It happens ion the real world too because I dont look my age. It just shows how eird the heirarchy of society works.

I am more than happy to agree to disagree before this gets to personnel and peoples reputations get damaged.

• Advertisement

Dvs wrote:
    Citizen_Erased,
    Since,
    nobody has really been willing or able to tell me how things are going for the IPSA,then maybe one of the founder members, could enlighten us as to progress and such.
    Dvs.

Hi dont really want to go in too deep here as I'm just compiling the Members Newsletter which should be mailed to members and posted on our site http://www.ipsc-ireland.org/ by the weekend and dont want to be repeating myself. (Hope you can wait till then)

I'll put a post here to let ye all know when its up

Basically there are 39 members as of tonight and quite a few in the pipeline (one female I am delighted to say and hopefully more will join the ranks).

We have always said from the start that we would not be holding any IPSC competitions until such time as we had the qualified Range Officers to manage such an event safely. Just quite recently 5 members including myself took part in a 2 day IPSC Range Officers Course and all 5 successfully passed with flying colours.

A large number have taken part in the Basic and Competition Courses and there has been a high success rate again this is a two day course.

With the Midlands getting the official go ahead last friday we can now set our sights on providing IPSC Basic and Competition Courses for the first time down South.

Have to remember also that we wouldnt have even got this far this quick if it wasnt for the guys in NITSA bending over backwards for us.

Sparks said (in a nutshell)

"As to whether it's worth joining, well, are you interested in shooting competitively? Because if you are, and you want to go abroad, they're the only group that can send a national team, as they are the ones recognised by the IPSC."

And not just abroad, to compete here you will have to be a member of an IPSC recognised region in our case IPSA or UKPSA and have compleated a competition course

Just the highlights hope you read the newsletter and I can be contacted directly off our website.

Advertisement