Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mole

Options
  • 02-07-2005 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

If you have a mole on your face (on males face) is it advisable to shave it? Because some people say it gives you cancer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The balance of evidence seems to be that shaving does not increase the risk of cancer.

Please remember the ABCDE warning signs of moles:

Asymmetry: one side does not match the other.

Border irregularity: jagged or blurred borders.

Colour: colour not uniform, there are different shades of black, brown, or tan. Can have white, red, or blue splotches.

Diameter: greater than 6mm.

Evolving: changes over time in size, shape, symptoms, surface, and/or colour.

(Some advice on moles still refers to ABCD, E for Evolving was added recently).

If a mole meets any of the above criteria, has exhibits bleeding, oozing, scaliness, signs of itchiness, pain, or tenderness or if you are at all worried about it, go to a doctor or dermatologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Good tips there about moles - any moles anywhere on the body. Unfortunately when I was 15 I didnt know those things and had to be sent for removal and cancer screening. Fortunately it was a false alarm, but everyone should pay attention to their moles - old and young.

My hubby used have a couple moles on his face and still shaved them. He was gentler shaving over them and used a mirror for that part rather than the "feel and shave" in the shower. If he did nick it, it took a little longer than a normal shaving cut to stop bleeding, but as stated above, there's no link with shaving moles and cancer.

What you might have heard is if moles do bleed (for no reason) to have them screened for cancer as a precautioin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

I dont have any i was just wondering. Conversation came up couple times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Whats the danger if you cut a mole off by accident? Also is there anything special about the ones with hair growing out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It'll bleed badly and will likely heal badly, as to whether it will trigger anything, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It's more that if it bleeds for no discernable reason, or after mild knocks that it is an indication of possible risk.

As ever, if you have any concerns about a mole (even if reading over the above has you feeling pretty confident, but you still have some worries) see a doctor or dermatologist.

Advertisement