Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cancer problem...

Options
  • 02-07-2005 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭

I'll keep this brief, don't wanna bore people to tears...
    My friend's aunt has contracted cancer, and the chemotherapy hasn't worked, so can people suggest anything to make her more comfortable as the end comes...anything to help her come to terms with it, or any alternative forms of treatment?(reiki etc...)

Cheers all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Sorry to read that. I know what it's like.

She'll probably be prescribed morphine as the illness progresses, but morphine comes with bad side effects. I'd try any alternative/complementary therapy going, and if they don't work, there's always the reefer. Serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

make sure she has plenty of family and friends around, people gain a lot of comfort in just having loved ones around, as often as possible. I know its probably not what you were looking for but its vitally important and something which can often be overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

ColHol wrote:
    make sure she has plenty of family and friends around, people gain a lot of comfort in just having loved ones around, as often as possible. I know its probably not what you were looking for but its vitally important and something which can often be overlooked.

exactly ^^^^

I understand what your going through, its such a tough time it happened to close member of my family quite recently. As much contact with loved ones as much as possible is really good. Even if its just sitting with them not even talking, try not to leave them on own unless of course they want that. 'X' was really afraid of being on her own especially at night time so we all took in turns to sit with her. A radio/cd player in the room with a show/music they enjoy is meant to be comforting also. Holding the persons hand.. very simple but it was amazing at the comfort that provided.
    There are books available that can be really useful we were given one by doctor [i'll look for title and post it later] I didnt really buy into that 'cra p' as i used to call it but i did find it quite good.
    if the patient is nauseous and vomiting we found root ginger biscuits and cocnut juice really good for easing nausea.

I really extend my sympathy to you, its such a tough time and i hope that everything turns out ok. I know that isnt phrased in the best possible way but i am being very sincere and wish you all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Cheers ppl...and funnily enough dada the auld reefer was the first thing i mentioned, since it's helped some MS sufferers.
    Any suggestions on alternative therapies that work better over others?
    I'm really worried as well, I'm afraid for my mate, what they might be secretly going through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Jays Im really sorry to read that, I feel all bad again. TBH, I dont reccomang hash but what the **** do I know. The problem with morphine (from what I gather) is it can make you feel terrible emotionally (and physically after long enough).

The hash will either take her mind off things or (what I feel is more likely) make her upset and depressed (Im assuming shes got a year+ left)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im real sorry. Its a horrible thing to have to go through for anyone.

Advertisement