Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Most Out There Jazz Record You Own?

Options
  • 02-07-2005 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Just want to know what wild stuff ye be listening to.I still have to decide.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

Chick Corea - Beneath the mask. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Skycat

Ornette Coleman - In All Languages

It's pretty out there,harmolodic and all that!I haven't heard Beneath The Mask,Is it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Ornette Coleman - Beauty is a rare thing disc 4 - Free Jazz - 37 mins long..

Holy ****! :eek:

Fusion
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Luminescence

jarret and garbaeck eerie stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Bugge Wesseltoft - New Conception of Jazz
    it's pretty out there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

Skycat wrote:
    Ornette Coleman - In All Languages

It's pretty out there,harmolodic and all that!I haven't heard Beneath The Mask,Is it good?

Its a very good album, one of the best albums ever.

Beneath The Mask

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Skycat wrote:
    Just want to know what wild stuff ye be listening to.I still have to decide.

In the seventies, it was compulsory to have at least one "free" track on any album for it to be considered out there. Because it was all vinyl in dem ould days, it was a pain to skip tracks so you tended to get used to going for a walk or putting on the kettle during the most obscure tracks. Some free jazz was actually very melodic and thoughtful (long tracks by Keith Jarret quartet or John Coltrane) and quite listenable but other stuff was simply unlistenable.
    Occasionally, by mistake, I remember buying albums by Tomasz Stanko (he is now Mr Melodic and beautifuy but in the 70s he made some very obsucre stuff as well), the Spontaneous Music Ensemble, Keith Tippett and others and fininsg to my horror that it was 40 minutes of completely free chaotic banging and noodling.

At the time, the other stuff that I actually liked used to freak my friends out because they thought its was ultra heavy and peculiar but was, compared to teh above stuff, easy listening: Soft MAchine, JOhn McLaughlin, Gong, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Tony Williams, Alan Holdsworth, Eberhard Weber etc.
    I still have all those albums but me turn table is wrecked so they are sitting on a shelf for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

I listen to a lot of Tim Berne... Science Friction is great. It's what I imagine music would sound like if you took loads of drugs. But then, I could be wrong. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Soft Machine, Matching Mole, Chris Corsano and Paul Flaherty, Stellar Regions (Coltrane), Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Albert Ayler, Peter Brotzmann, heads like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Yo got ornette coleman "Free Jazz". It's a masterpiece, a musical journey and a feast for the ears. I recommend it to any open-minded music lover. Dolphy and Ornettes solos inspiring, Hubbard is beginning to show promise of becoming a great 'free' musician, moving away from the "Messengers". Bass and drum duets are not to be missed.
    P.S GET "OUT TO LUNCH" BY DOLPHY! Magnificent! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement