Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Maynooth debacle continues

Options
  • 01-07-2005 6:26pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Maynooth has been promised a playground/skatepark combo for nigh on 15 years now - ever since the council removed all the "dangerous" stuff from the old playground and stopped maintaining/insuring it... amazingly, theres been some movement in the past months on it

Apparently the playground was to be built in three seperate areas - 0-6 years, 6-13 years, and 14+. The 14+ area was to, and these are exact quotes from the local Labour councillor: "incorporated skateboard areas in addition to 'hang out' areas". So it'll be a few rails and a quarter pipe then. :rolleyes:

However, the council allocated funding, and has signed the contract on the playground now. E355,000. For the first two areas only.

Apparently the third area will be added "next year". Me arse it will.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Right, just had an email back from "my" councillor (I voted for him, I half-arsedly support his party and he's also a Donegalman at heart...).

Apparantly, KCC are putting a "pilot skatepark" in Newbridge, then one in Maynooth, and are looking for input from skateboarders into the design.

Now, this isn't something I'll be terribly good at - anyone any suggestions?

Going to cross-post this to Extreme Sports after the complaints there about stereotypical three-rails-and-a-halfpipe skateparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MYOB wrote:
    Now, this isn't something I'll be terribly good at - anyone any suggestions?
    Erm; just a thought: build a basic skatepark in Tony Hawks Skateboard, and take a picture of it from different angles. Nothing too snazzy. Pictures, some basic sketches, and if you can, talk to some other skateparks to see who built their skateparks so you can get a rough cost estimation for the project.

If you know how much they (the County Council) will spend, and you come up with a feasible plan that may be less than the amount allocated, it may have a chance.

Good luck, and report back :)

Advertisement