Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long before receipt of points?

Options
  • 01-07-2005 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I think I may have been caught by a white van camera this morning on the way to work. I was going about 57km in a 50km zone. Does anyone know how you know if you've been caught and/or how long before you get points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

if caught you will receive a penalty points notification with in a matter of weeks.

where were you caught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

you might get the notice you pay in a couple of weeks but its ages until the points are actually added if you pay, 6 months or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

Heading down Ballymun Road by the park.

What impact (money-wise) do points have on insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

AFAIK most insurance companies won't load you for 2 points, but you are still supposed to tell them at renewal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

I see, thanks.

yup most insurance companies wont load you for 2 points. but best to tell them anyway so that you dont jeopardise your cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only insurer that has access to the penalty points database is Hibernian. If you're not insured with them, it won't have an impact on your insurance

unkel wrote:
    The only insurer that has access to the penalty points database is Hibernian. If you're not insured with them, it won't have an impact on your insurance

true, but if you fail to declare the points when being quoted by other companies im sure you will run into 'red-tape' come claim time.

(have a look at most policys, you agree to a disclaimer for failure to disclose anything which may affect your premium/insurance policy)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

white van man :mad:
    I was away in France for almost 3 weeks and travelled about 2500miles and not once did I see the police out on the roads (yet by and large people were keeping to the speed limits).
    Arrived back in Rosslare on Monday and on my way home I saw a speed trap on the Northern end of the Arklow bypass and also on the M50 just past the Dundrum junction.
    I reckon I got caught the following day on the Dublin's South Quays on Tuesday evening doing about 60kmph (in moving traffic) by the white van! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Let us know if they caught you Kbannon.

kbannon wrote:
    I reckon I got caught the following day on the Dublin's South Quays on Tuesday evening doing about 60kmph (in moving traffic) by the white van! :mad:

Argh! Where and when exactly was that? They might have got me too :(

Can't remember the exact point but near enough to the Statoil, tucked in on the path. I only saw it when I was near enough to it.
    They also frequent the lay by just after the junction of Military road and are fairly well hidden there. This is in addition to the common sight of gardai parked outside Guinnesses with a hair dryer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

pretty sure you are only obliged to tell the insurance co. if its 4 or more points

I think it would depend on the policy. Mine has no reference at all to points!

kbannon wrote:
    I think it would depend on the policy. Mine has no reference at all to points!

Mine doesn't either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

is the white van a totally unmarked van ? how can you distinguish it from a normal van

unkel wrote:
    Mine doesn't either
    maybe its a non-BMW clause unkel :D
    elexes wrote:
    is the white van a totally unmarked van ? how can you distinguish it from a normal van
    they are hi-cube transits dressed in red, dark green or white. They have blackened out rear windows and the window on the right has a small cut out of the black where the camera can peep through. They also have a vent on the roof to allow the heat disappear.

kbannon wrote:
    maybe its a non-BMW clause unkel :D

Those gatsos should only cover non-BMW lanes anyway :D

speaking of the BMW lane - when in France recently, I tended to do about 100-130 comfortably on the autoroutes but all the time if I approached a car already overtaking another they would pull in soon after their overtaking manouvre. Furthermore, nobody was tottering along in the overtaking lane.
    It was weird - like they don't know how to drive quite as well as us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was sent a PDF document the other day that lists all the known speedtraps and vehicles to watch for in Ireland

Probably not a good idea to post a link tho (woulda sorta defeat the purpose) but PM me if ya want it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

Just wondering what the range is of the unmarked van gatso's...? was overtaking a truck in the middle lane on the Naas road near citywest recently doing 110kph (its a 100kph stretch) and suddenly noticed the van and although slowed right down would like to know the range they detect to know should I be worried for the next few weeks!!

AFAIK they have a range of about 30 to 50 feet. The cameras are usually also angled to look from the van accross the road rather than right down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

kbannon wrote:
    AFAIK they have a range of about 30 to 50 feet. The cameras are usually also angled to look from the van accross the road rather than right down it.

Good to know, thanks! I was about 4-5 lamposts away (terrible way to measure things I know but there you go :D ) so should be ok but still tend to treat those things as though the mere thought of speeding 2 miles away will get me points :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I was sent a PDF document the other day that lists all the known speedtraps and vehicles to watch for in Ireland

Probably not a good idea to post a link tho (woulda sorta defeat the purpose) but PM me if ya want it :)

This offer has now closed (or I'll be here all night :))

Advertisement