Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems

Options
  • 01-07-2005 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Hi all, First post in this forum.

I dont know what benefit this post will have to be honest but I feel like writing it down.

Driving home last night (2000 Fiat Punto) just changing down gears going into a roundabout and the clutch pedal stiffened, followed by a snapping noise from under the car, the clutch pedal went loose so i pulled in somewhere a little further up the road (the car was still in gear).

Got it towed home anyway and have to ring the garage this morning. I think it could just be a snapped clutch cable (i hope anyway).

Ive read some of the horror storys in the other similar posts about this issue and I seriously hope it has nothing to do with my gearbox because I just paid my years tax and insurance and i'm kind of skint (i'm only 21).

Now I bought this car about 6 months ago from a dealer after i was involved in an accident in my last car (also a punto). The warranty expired recently, about a week ago i'd say, so does anyone know where this leaves me ?

Ive had nothing with problems with the car since i got it (the exhaust connection snapped roughly a month after i bought it) and the garage have been less than helpful with any repairs brought to their attention.

I'm going to get the guys in my local garage to have a look it this morning, but do you think ringing the Dealer will be any use ? Anyone been in any similar situations before ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

You could be into a few bob to fix that, but it sounds to me like this won't be the last bit of hassle you get.

When will people learn FIAT - Fix It Again Tomorrow
    They are nothing but trouble. next time buy a japanese car, you'll find thay tend not to break when you look sideways at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Kermitt wrote:
    They are nothing but trouble. next time buy a japanese car, you'll find thay tend not to break when you look sideways at them.

now if we were all to take that piece of advice, the world and our roads would be a very boring (if a little more reliable) place :rolleyes:

getting back to the point of this topic. im not 100% sure on your problem given the details youve posted. can you elaborate a little more as to what happened, how it felt, the noises it made? i presume it was stuck in gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

ciarsd wrote:
    getting back to the point of this topic. im not 100% sure on your problem given the details youve posted. can you elaborate a little more as to what happened, how it felt, the noises it made? i presume it was stuck in gear?

Just pushed in the clutch to change down a gear, felt a little resistance in the pedal for a second, then there was kind of snapping noise and all resistance went out of the pedal (just lying limp on the floor). The car was still in gear, and when i stopped i could take it out of gear, im fairly certain that it will go into gear when stopped. Any ideas ?

Thanks for the feedback lads. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Kermitt wrote:
    When will people learn FIAT - Fix It Again Tomorrow
    They are nothing but trouble. next time buy a japanese car,

Great advise, that'll sort the OP out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I think the clutch cable might be gone, i'm sure they will find 10 other thing too to help push up the bill

Well I have one of they lads in my local garage over looking at the car at the moment, he's going to ring me in a bit and let me know what the damage is.

Ill keep ye posted anyway.

does sound like your clutch cable has snapped although id be unsure if there was any other damage or wear to the likes of the clutch etc only an inspection will tell you this.

whats the mileage on the car?

if its relatively low, then id be checking the clutch cable route (from clutch assembly through firewall to the end of your clutch pedal) to make sure that there is nothing obstructing it or catching it everytime the pedal is pressed/depressed - causing premature wear.

Mileage is around 65k (was only serviced a month ago too :( )

Could just be wear and tear ?
    I never really had any problems with the clutch till last night. It just kind of came out of mowhere. Thats why i was so surprised.

c - 13 wrote:
    Mileage is around 65k (was only serviced a month ago too :( )

Could just be wear and tear ?
    I never really had any problems with the clutch till last night. It just kind of came out of mowhere. Thats why i was so surprised.

more than likely then youve got wear and tear problem. especially seen as youve not noticed anything with the clutch before this (if a clutch was on its way out it would be progressive and you'd notice it - unless your running big power on a tuned engine with OE clutch parts!)

if the clutch has not been changed yet, its a good idea to have it done now - all 3 pieces (clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Yep your clutch cable snapped on you and as the previous poster just said, it'll probably be best for you to replace the clutch altogether, just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

silas wrote:
    Yep your clutch cable snapped on you and as the previous poster just said, it'll probably be best for you to replace the clutch altogether, just to be on the safe side.
    Replacing the cable is a fairly inexpensive job, the same cannot be said for changing the entire clutch.
    My sis has a FIAT Seicento and the same thing happened her....a local mechanic replaced it for about €60 AFAIR

Well i'm just off the phone to the garage anyway and peter (my local mechanic) said the plastic rod going into the master cylinder snapped. I've been qouted around E90 for a new master cylinder (inc VAT) and then labour. So i guess i'm looking at around E150 ... do you think it might be worth replacing with a second hand cylinder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

for the sake of 90 quid, no....imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I would have agreed the cable snapped, but you have told us it is hudraulic if it has a "master cylider". However, having a plastic pushrod seems like half assed for this item, even in a new one.

Could you spend the €90 and have someone fashion a metal pushrod out or an old valve pushrod, or strong steel rod, it's a wonder these items are not snappping daily.

Anyway, also have the slave cyl checked... if something stuck/siezed up there, the new one would also snap on the first push.

Well, its all sorted out now anyways, had a new cylinder fitted on sat and the other cylinder checked etc. and it all fine now for the minute.
    Thanks to everyone who gave feedback, i'm off now to wait and see what breaks this week ....

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

My advice - get a Japanese car next.

Fact: A 1990 Nissan/Toyota/Honda is endlessly more reliable and solid than a 05 Fiat.

I know it's been said already, but people need to hear it again.. and again... and again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Sadly its not going to be the last thing to break on your punto.Far better off with a Fiesta the reliability of a jap car without the crap drive/styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

"without the crap drive/styling."

Have you ever driven a Honda?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Fiesta is hardly the first image I have of a "stylish" car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement