Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

naturism

Options
  • 01-07-2005 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there, does anybody know if there is still an unofficial nudist beach at Vico Road near dalkey. I saw it on the irish naturist website and was thinking of giving it a try. Would naturists think it weird if someone goes to their beach. i know i sound stupid, but don't want to be considered a pervert just there for a look, as i'm genuinely interested in naturism but havent had the courage to try it before. Will be in dublin in a few weeks so thought i may try it out. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If they have a website surely they have a email address too and maybe a info@email.com. Get in touch with them and ask ,
    Oh and do wears lots of a good sunfactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"Would naturists think it weird if someone goes to their beach."

Beaches are generally public property (certainly between high and low tide, whatever about aabove high tide), so I can't imagine a problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

londondoll wrote:
    Hi there, does anybody know if there is still an unofficial nudist beach at Vico Road near dalkey. I saw it on the irish naturist website and was thinking of giving it a try. Would naturists think it weird if someone goes to their beach. i know i sound stupid, but don't want to be considered a pervert just there for a look, as i'm genuinely interested in naturism but havent had the courage to try it before. Will be in dublin in a few weeks so thought i may try it out. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Hi there Londondoll.

I live in Dalkey so to answer your question yes there is a nudist place in Dalkey all right but its not a beach its more so a swimming kind of place thats made out of concrete. Its hard to explain but anyway yeah there is.

I take it from your name that your a woman so I better tell you that its quite strange to see any nudist women there its usually men and older men at that but I suppose there is the odd woman there.

So basically yeah your right there is a nudist place just off the Vico Road and no they wouldnt think it was weird as I go there to swim but I dont go nude and everyone there is nice so dont worry about them saying anything its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭normar

There are a number of naturist tolerated places in Ireland, though sadly no official one as yet. Where you are looking for is the White Rocks area of Dalky.
    Its a really nice place though not a beach. There are almost always naturists and textile mixing happly together there, male and female.

Read about other places here: http://www.esatclear.ie/~irishnaturist/

Another place to try is the beach at Donabate well up from the carpark (walk about 20 mins up from it and its pretty well accepted to be nude there.). There are a few naturists there nearly every day and expecially in the mornings before the walkers become to numerous.

Also we would like your opinions on the debate about naturism and the Irish on the Humanities forum if you would be interested.

M+N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 londondoll

many thanks kingp35 and normar for your helpful advice. I'll only be in Dublin for about 3 days so would prob feel more comfortable trying out naturism with other females. Certainly naked men dont bother me, but i may feel a little intimidated to begin with if I was the only female there! I know that prob sounds silly to practising naturists. I think I may try the donabete beach. Is is usually busy at certain periods? I'll be there prob sat or sun, so am conscious there may be families/ kids around and dont want to get into any trouble for parading naked on the beach. Do the lifeguards/police take any notice, as its pretty ridiculous that theres no nude beach in the whole country.

• Advertisement

just checking out details for getting to donabete naturist beach. Is it far from the train station, cos thats how i'll be travelling as i see it stops in donabete?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Yeah its a long walk to the beach from the train station about 25 mins

Hi Londondoll,

It is a fair walk from the train to the beach about 25 mins, and then you would have about another 20 mins to walk up the beach to the area the naturists use.
    But having said that it is a lovely beach and there is plenty of room for everyone naturists included.
    What we do is to lay our towels out where the beach meets the rising dunes, strip off and just enjoy the sun. There can be the odd walkers using the beach but not so many as to prevent us going for a swim or a short walk when they have gone. We are not " in you face naturists", and people dont bother us at all. They may cast an odd glance at us as they go by but that's about all.
    If you would like to go with a naturist couple for your first visit to the beach then mail us. Otherwise enjoy your visit and let us know how you got on.

N+M

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

perhaps we should organise an unofficial get together for people interest in naturism but have been to shy about trying it. Judging by londondoll it seems she's interest in trying it out nbut is nervous about going it alone. may be easier if there were more people like her to help break the ice and ease the nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

londondoll wrote:
    Just go and leave it all hang out

• Advertisement

Okay decided I'm going to brave the naturist beach area when I'm in Dublin in two weeks time! I hope the weather is going to be as good as ye seem to have got this weekend. I bet the naturist area was packed. Is it a big area, cos if the weather is going to be this good, then it may get a little crowded?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The swimming non-beach spot is called hawks cliff. There is a little open changing room/shelter. There are lots of steps down to it. White rock is close by and is a normal beach though sometimes naturists go there, I think on sundays, some swimmers at hawks cliff told me the gardai were down at white rock, I have never heard that there was ever trouble at hawks cliff. You see some topless women at hawks cliff, I have only ever seen a few fully naked women there and they usually are on a more remote part (there are lots of rocks and places to lay down.)

40ft also has a nude area around the corner of it. In the summer there are lots of scumbags drinking there, I was down the other day and it was crawling with gardai (not for nudists!) You see the odd naked woman there but it is mostly old men. Hawks cliff is a far better place, you would be made very welcome by the people there, there are regulars who are very chatty.

Thanks Rubadub, based on what you say i'm beginning to get a little nervous at the thought of my first naturist appearance if its mainly going to be just elderly men. Not being sexist of anything but as a late 20's female I was hoping I'd find somewhere that would have a better mix of people, both men & women, and perhaps a little younger too so that I would feel like I blend in a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is one guy about 70 who basically lives down there, the rest are about 40-50. There are a few women who are there a lot but do not swim, they must just go out walking. On sunny days it is pretty full with people in usually about 25-35 (for some odd reason there are rarely under 20's though all the other beaches are full of them), it is usually about 25-30% women. I'd bring a swimsuit if you feel uncomfortable, you can swim around to a more remote spot and strip off. If you are there early or late there will be more naturists about than clothed, like I say they are very friendly, not a bunch of old lechers

londondoll wrote:
    Okay decided I'm going to brave the naturist beach area when I'm in Dublin in two weeks time!

You must come back, londondoll and tell us about your naturist visit. We would be interested in reading your opinions on it. Hopefully it will be enjoyable day out.

M+N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Loving this thread, I think it's hilarious!

Sorry such a serious business this naturism lark... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Do let us know when you have any constructive input Giles.

Gordon wrote:
    Do let us know when you have any constructive input Giles.

Jeez lighten up I only said I found it funny (genuinely) and not in a sarcastic or patronising way. Maybe I need to stop finding such things funny.

Giles wrote:
    . Maybe I need to stop finding such things funny.

Looking at the funny side of life is good. But just sometimes it needs to be balanced. So Giles how about giving us an opinion on naturism just to broaden the views on the subject.

P.S. Might be best to post it on the naturist discussion over on the humanities section. Don't want to incur the ire of Gordan again. :p

Naturism?

I have no problem with it whatsoever if fact I welcome it! It's unfortunate that there always seems to be such a gender imbalance assosiated with it though which I would imagine would put alot of people off - especially young women. ;)

• Advertisement

The gender imbalance is an mportant issue. We often wondered about that ourselves. In relationships it is rarely the female who becomes the naturist, and this is a pity. it would be great to see more females and couples enjoying naturism.
    It is important to try to stress to people that within the naturist context i.e. communal naturist interaction, sexuality or simply stated sex is never an issue.
    Naturism has as its core value respect for oneself, respect for others, respect for the environment, and the right to enjoy being naked within an accepted and defined clothing optional area. This would give people a choice to be naked or not, and to be so without causing offence to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 corkonian1

Giles wrote:
    Naturism?

I have no problem with it whatsoever if fact I welcome it! It's unfortunate that there always seems to be such a gender imbalance assosiated with it though which I would imagine would put alot of people off - especially young women. ;)
    The same would be true of situations where either sex is in the vast majority. For me there is a comfort factor in having at least some other males about, and that applies in any social situation. If a place looks like it is mainly for one sex over the other, naturally a person can feel out of place if they are in a tiny minority.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I tried the Vico Road bathing area for the first time last week and it was great. There were a couple of other men there, swimming in the nude and they were friendly. Swimming nude is really the only way to swim - I'm a convert! I have to say that I didn't see any women there and the path down to the bathing area is steep and narrow. Also, the steps into the sea were very poor -they are too steep and it's very difficult to get out of the sea. If this was improved, it would be great. There is also a little rock pool that I tried before braving the sea but it could do with being cleared of seaweed.

Is Vico Road popular in the summer? I'd like to swim there more often. I have heard that it was mixed between naturists and swimmers in bathing suits, but I'd hope that there are more naturists than textiles there as it would make me feel more comfortable usin the bathing place.

JupiterKid wrote:
    I tried the Vico Road bathing area for the first time last week and it was great. There were a couple of other men there, swimming in the nude and they were friendly. Swimming nude is really the only way to swim - I'm a convert!
    Is Vico Road popular in the summer? I'd like to swim there more often. I have heard that it was mixed between naturists and swimmers in bathing suits, but I'd hope that there are more naturists than textiles there as it would make me feel more comfortable usin the bathing place.

For those who may not know where it is the bathing place is signposted. On the Vico road walk across the footbridge over the dart line and follow the path. To the left is a path and steps down to the changing huts and diving board. This clothing optional bathing place is used by naturists and there is a good tolerance between the naturist and textile bathers. There is also a rocky cove around to the right suitable for sunbathing.

We go there regularly and it is a great place to swim. It is a popular place in the Summer. There is a great mix of naturist and non naturist bathers, with the A.M. favoured by the naturists. Any time we have been there it has been very frendly. The area is east facing and with the sun rising in the east it is warmest in the first half of the day. It is a gunuine naturist tolerated area and well worth a visit especially at the weekends in the mornings.

It still retains a natural rocky access to the sea, and there has been improvements made to the access to the water by the users of the area not by the corporation. We like it as it is but others may see fit to perhaps add a bit here or there.
    The most important thing is to enjoy a naturist swim in a lovely setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yeah its a long walk to the beach from the train station about 25 mins

Emmet, you dirty dawg!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dragan, unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

Advertisement