Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pill VS Diaphragm/Cervical Cap

Options
  • 01-07-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been on the pill for the last 5 years. I have never had any problems. But I have been thinking lately about getting off the pill. I don't really like the idea of adding hormones to your body to stop ovulation. I stayed on it over the years because it has been really effective for me and my partner. I would really like to try a diaphragm/cervical cap.

Has anyone anyone used both and has a preference?

Is there any advice you can offer to someone who is considering switching?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/dcs.html
    Vaginal diaphragms are circular domes made of thin rubber. They are kept in shape by a pliable metal rim covered in rubber. Cervical caps are smaller devices which are designed to fit neatly over the cervix. A spermicide is used as well. Diaphragms and caps work in a similar way so the same information applies to both.

How effective are barrier methods?
    Tests show that for every 100 women who use the diaphragm or cap very carefully and consistently two will get pregnant in a year. With less careful and consistent use, 2 to 15 will get pregnant. Spermicide must he used with the diaphragm and cap to make them effective. Spermicide on its own is not effective as a method of family planning.

A lot more can go wrong with this method of contraception then with the oral contraceptive pill. Do some research and do go talk to your Gp or pratice nurse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

My only advice to you would be to get one, and stay on teh pill for the first while. Till you get used to it.
    Before anyone tells me I'm a lunatic, let me tell you that the only reason I say that is that is that when I first came off the pill I got really fed up that I'd have to have planned in advance when we were going to have sex. I was used to the old "any time any place" freedom the pill gives you.
    But that's the only downside I found and I got over that pretty quickly. It's a mindset adjustment and I was like you - a bit wary of the all the hormones over all the years.
    Also when I came off the pill I lost a lot of weight, which for me was a bonus!!

Advertisement