Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Secure

Options
  • 29-06-2005 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Story All any one got any idears how to Make a car more safe from robbers & scumbags like that. I recently got a new car its got an Imobiliser is there any thing more i should do to keep her safe at night where i live its not the safeist place in Dublin I just want to know what will make Robbers & Scum not bother with it. its not a flash car pritty avrage. well any idears ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

leave nothing on view inside the car, dont invite a thief.

the best and cheapest deterrent ive found in the past is the biggest padlock and chain you can buy and wrap it around the steering wheel everytime you leave the car. it's not glamorous, its not practical but heck does it do the job.

a good thatcham approved alarm is also a good option for you, there are more and more on the market nowadays so a good deal is out there for you. if only for piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

just do as many different things that you can to put off a potential thief. I've an immobilizer, alarm and a lock and chain. I keep the keys in my room incase anyone breaks in and looks for keys, and I put the car on steering lock in the driveway to stop anyone rolling the car out the driveway (it happened with my dads car a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Scatter some tapes on the dash so they just think you have a crappy tape player and probably wouldnt be too interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have an alarm, immobiliser, magnum titanium chain and a front disk lock on my bike, all nicely tucked away in my shed. Oh yeah and I put on the fork lock aswell. I'd love to see someone try and rob it !!!
    You can never have enough security on any vehicle in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dont wash it. Theives are attracted to bright, shiney objects.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The disklok immobilisers than completely cover the steering wheel are supposed to be good. I have one but rarely use it. I think it cost around 70 quid, it's awkward and heavy but it should deter a thief.

If you are leaving the car sitting for a while, remove a vital ignition component from under the bonnet and it will render the car unstartable. The only way a thief can steal it is to tow it away or else replace the ignition parts and an opportunist thief isn't going to botehr with either of these.

But scumbags will still try to break into your car even if they have no intention of stealing it. They will nick anything they can even stuff like maps and the spare wheel :confused: Then they may vandalise the car "for the laff" :mad:

BrianD3 wrote:
    If you are leaving the car sitting for a while, remove a vital ignition component from under the bonnet and it will render the car unstartable. The only way a thief can steal it is to tow it away or else replace the ignition parts and an opportunist thief isn't going to botehr with either of these.

Is this easy to do? What exactly should I be looking for?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

re the steering wheel disklock thingys - some are good but some are also crap (based on an autoexpress test - www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/46251/steering_locks.html).
    I agree that a thick chain & strong padlock is a good and effective deterrent as many of the thieves won't have a set of bolt cutters with them.
    However, a good alarm & immobiliser (go for a thatcham approved one) will also help as will some kind of electrical switch which cuts off the fuel pump or whatever.
    You should also park somewhere bright, busy and if possible get one of those removable bollard thingys if you park on your drive.
    These will help deter someone taking the car but that is all they are - deterrents. If someone wants your car then they will get it, even if this requires coming into your house to get the keys.

To deter people breaking into the car to take something, don't leave anything in the car! Remove the face of the radio [don't leave it under the seat! :rolleyes: ]. Take everything out of the glovebox and leave it open.
    However, people still break into a car despite all this :confused:

To deter people breaking into the car to take something, don't leave anything in the car!
    except a few tapes;)

Tinted windows: Safer or not?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

regarding tapes - they can still be stolen!
    regarding tinted windows - if I can't see inside a car then I would suspect that there could be something to hide. If a thief can see in and see nothing, then they are mush less likely to break in
    my €0.02

• Advertisement

The thing with the tapes is, they are less likely to go to the bother of breaking in if all you have is a tape player. I'm assuming the demand wouldn't be as much for a tape player which really come as standard in cars. :confused:

I'd guess that about tints too. I suppose they could work in both ways really. You could have something of great value in the back seat and without tints everyone who passes by could be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

kbannon wrote:
    ...and if possible get one of those removable bollard thingys if you park on your drive...
    I have a renault clio to double as one of these :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

Thanks for the responce you have all giveing me good idears im getting one of those steering locks & an Alarm. also Will leave nothing in car for little S*its to bother with

Thanks agane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Just park next to something more desireable or easier to nick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

Can an Imobliser truely keep a car from being Robbed & joy rided?

Advertisement