Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression thread no. 1349384

Options
  • 29-06-2005 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hey,

As the title infers, i am aware there are a lot of depression threads in here, but i need some advice about it. I have been going to a counsellor for 4 years, initially for anxiety problems, but went yesterday for the first time in a year, if you follow. I've been feeling a bit low lately so i went, equipped with a sheet listing my "symptoms" and she said i sound depressed and mentally fatigued. Among the more troubling ones it included

-fantasising about situations where i am respected, looked up to or a leader figure.

-going on walks alone late at night, often doing the above as well.

-pining for my ex-girlfriend who dumped me a year ago.

-insecurity about my appearance

-Self-absorption. I keep analysing my life, my relationships etc.

-difficulty empathising with others

-lack of motivation to do anything – I have to be pushed to get things done – not good in the workplace!

-I have a real need for validation and acceptance for my peers, ironically pointed out BY my peers!

-Paranoia : constantly worrying about what people think of me , what people are saying behind my back.

-Isolation: Circle of friends has dissolved, become very skewed. Spending nights unproductively, or sitting in front of computer. There are no strong, supportive interpersonal relationships in my life at present.

-Lethargy: Constantly feeling fatigued, tired. This can be traced to poor sleeping habits, but on weekends I sleep for twelve hours and still feel tired.

Has anybody experienced any or all of the above? Or have any advice to give? My counsellor told me to book an appt. with my doctor for a full physical, which im doing tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

She shouldn't have used the word depressed imho :)

Talk to your GP and ask him/her to refer you to a psychiatrist. Tell them the symptoms.

This thread should be locked imo, lists of symptoms are not a good idea on a PI board. This is not a place to come for diagnosis.

Good luck anyways mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Well what word should she have used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Sounds to me like depression, I've suffered similar, and how I got out of it was regular exercise, building up of my social cirlce (not the easist as I had to make the first moves) improved my diet and kept a daily journal, which is still my life saver today. I still get depressed but it only lasts for 1-2 days and I tend to just run with it.

pushpop wrote:
    Well what word should she have used?

One that isn't part of medical jargon.

You are left wondering if she meant depression as in the colloquial use of the word or if she meant depression in the clinical sense.

Personally I'd have phrased it as "you're a bit down", "you're feeling a bit blue" or "so you're not doing so well these days".

Just to avoid confusion.

Bear in mind that anyone posting on here and telling you that your symptoms sound like depression is an idiot. No one should even think of doing it.

There are good reasons why such diagnosises are made by trained professionals in the field and not by random people on bulletin boards.

Then again, that's just my opinion.

McGinty wrote:
    Sounds to me like depression, I've suffered similar, and how I got out of it was regular exercise, building up of my social cirlce (not the easist as I had to make the first moves) improved my diet and kept a daily journal, which is still my life saver today. I still get depressed but it only lasts for 1-2 days and I tend to just run with it.

That's not depression in the clinical sense of the word.

btw.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A counsellor is not equiped to make such a call neither is anyone here
    This is not a medical board, do go to your GP with your concerns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement