Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning after

Options
  • 29-06-2005 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how much the morning after pill is? I dont want to go into details but it would be nice to know before the chemists open tomorow. Also paying €40 for a G.P to write a prescription is ****ing outragous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

its less than €20 i think mine was €10 mind u that was a few years ago,not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

question wrote:
    ...paying €40 for a G.P to write a prescription is ****ing outragous.

maybe, but a sh!t load cheaper than having a baby you dont want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

A family planning clinic might be cheaper for the script. I dunno. Maybe someone that used FPC's can tell. You could always ring your local clinic to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Thaed wrote:
    And on that note http://www.ifpa.ie/about/centres.html

OP, can you get to one of these places? Often a better choice in many ways than your GP, including cost.

If you have any other issues around recent events that you don't want to bring up here it may be good to talk to someone there also.

• Advertisement

The morning after Pill simply must be prescribed by a Dr as it may not be suitable for everyone and it has risks and side effect just like the oral contraceptive pill.
    So it is not just writing a script and it is for support and advice as well as a medical checkup.
    I personally have never heard of any dr refusing to prescribe it but I have heard
    of them saying that some one should NOT be prescribed it again in the same 12 months. Once can happen to anyone, twice is not a mistake really but carelessness ESP with in the same 12.

The morning after pill is Emergency Contraceptive,
    not a contraceptive plan.

Guys and Girls looks after yourself and your health respect your body and its
    fertility and get yourself a contraceptive plan and use it and use condoms.
    IF you are in a situation where you may be pregnant you have also left yourself open to the possibilities of Sti and HIV.

Be well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Costs like 42 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyJ
    Costs like 42 quid!

Hmm, much easier, cheaper and safer to just buy loads of condoms in bulk isn't it?

Never an excuse for a guy or girl not to be carrying one once they are sexually active imho. Especially if they are going out or such. Although to be fair, it is best to be prepared for it, it can happen at any time.

Althought there seems to be this delusion that only guys should carry them. Seriously, women should do it too. Less likely for either to forget then.

Oh and Thead hun, condoms do burst occasionally, so it is feasible, if unlikely, for someone to need the morning after pill twice in a year and it not being down to their carelessness. Highly unlikely though to be fair.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

How effective is the pill?
    I was with someone on friday night, and again on saturday,
    I didn't tell her about the friday night but told her about saturday and told her to get the morning after(thinkin she'd get it on the sun/mon)
    she got it on monday morning I think it was... and I'm thinking that it was a bit late is it?
    ABout women carrying condoms, was with someone last night who had one in her bag doesn't mean **** all of what she is like, saves us men having to use ours could come in use in a better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Go for the contraceptive injection. If you're in a relationship with a partner you know isin't riddled you're good to go. So far there has never been a case of a girl on the injection that has fallen pregnant. You can't argue with odds like that. Plus you don't get a period anymore.. its a win win :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ladypawpaw

Go for the contraceptive injection. If you're in a relationship with a partner you know isin't riddled you're good to go. So far there has never been a case of a girl on the injection that has fallen pregnant. You can't argue with odds like that.

Not true, factboy. No contraceptive is 100% babyproof.

The injection is again not suitible for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

Lenny wrote:
    How effective is the pill?
    I was with someone on friday night, and again on saturday,
    I didn't tell her about the friday night but told her about saturday and told her to get the morning after(thinkin she'd get it on the sun/mon)
    she got it on monday morning I think it was... and I'm thinking that it was a bit late is it?
    ABout women carrying condoms, was with someone last night who had one in her bag doesn't mean **** all of what she is like, saves us men having to use ours could come in use in a better

how did she not know you were with her? i'm confused

don't forget getting pregnant might seem like the worst case senario but its not there are plenty of STD's that can destroy if not end your life why does nobody think of getting tested for STD's after unprotected sex?

Because they are 'hidden' unlike a pregnancy you can deny you have an sti or your hiv status even to yourself but you cant with a bun in the oven.
    Getting pregnant is still THE big taboo in our culture.

Thaed wrote:
    Because they are 'hidden' unlike a pregnancy you can deny you have an sti or your hiv status even to yourself but you cant with a bun in the oven.
    Getting pregnant is still THE big taboo in our culture.

agreed but its still a v backward way of thinking by having unprotected sex and/or not been screened you are not only putting your life at risk but anyone that you sleep with

solution: don't have unprotected sex

unlikely for everyone i know so go get a check up

you might be relieved if you find out your not pregers now but finding out you cant have kids in 10 yrs time because of something you caught isn't something you want either

nesf wrote:
    condoms do burst occasionally, so it is feasible, if unlikely, for someone to need the morning after pill twice in a year and it not being down to their carelessness. Highly unlikely though to be fair.
    There are several potential reasons to need the morning after pill twice in a year apart from carelessness, some of which are very bad.

Some doctors doctors may still not wish to prescribe it twice though, it is after all a very high dose of hormone.
    shellby wrote:
    agreed but its still a v backward way of thinking by having unprotected sex and/or not been screened you are not only putting your life at risk but anyone that you sleep with
    As a general way of thinking about the situation it is indeed very backwards. In terms of how someone is thinking about the situation when they are in it and panicking and having several fears come at them at once I wouldn't describe it as backwards - unwise thinking yes, but not necessarily backwards.

Nesf wrote:
    Oh and Thead hun, condoms do burst occasionally,

Well taking a safer sex class on how to use them properly will help,
    Plus making sure the ones you are using are the right fit (ie not too small )
    And standard condoms are NOT made to with stand the rigours of anal sex.
    One size does not fit all, and not all types are the right type.
    Read the small print on the back of the box.

Talliesin wrote:
    As a general way of thinking about the situation it is indeed very backwards. In terms of how someone is thinking about the situation when they are in it and panicking and having several fears come at them at once I wouldn't describe it as backwards - unwise thinking yes, but not necessarily backwards.

agreed didn't mean to sound like a complete bitch
    it seemsto me though in most cases the girl is either pregnant and deals with that or gets her period and continues on with life forgetting the whole thing never happened

i can't emphsise how important screening is esp if it was just a one nght stand there is more at risk than having a baby by all means take the mornign after and take care not to get pregnant but then deal with the other consequences of unprotected sex just as you would the fear of becoming a mam or dad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

Thaed wrote:
    I have heard
    of them saying that some one should NOT be prescribed it again in the same 12 months. Once can happen to anyone, twice is not a mistake really but carelessness ESP with in the same 12.

The morning after pill is Emergency Contraceptive,
    not a contraceptive plan.

Once can happen to anyone, so can twice and three times. People shouldn't be refused Emergency Contraception because they have taken it once in the last year. It's not unsafe (yes, I AM speaking from experience), and can save someone from the experience of abortion, which I think is a hundred times better than taking the trouble to write another perscription to a regretful patient.

To to OP, I would take the suggestion of a lot of people and go to a family planning clinic rather than your GP. They specialize in such things, and give you all the advice, and medical attention you might need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

my doc gave me the morning after pill and it was free cause he had some in his office. and it is best to take it within 48hr, but you can go up to 72 hours but the sooner the better. Docs dont like to give it out too often because it is really bad for you and is hard on your stomach.

• Advertisement

Thaed wrote:
    Well taking a safer sex class on how to use them properly will help,
    Plus making sure the ones you are using are the right fit (ie not too small )
    And standard condoms are NOT made to with stand the rigours of anal sex.
    One size does not fit all, and not all types are the right type.
    Read the small print on the back of the box.

I'm aware of all this and know how to use them properly and it did happen to me once.

To be fair, that would be one condom out of many many others so it's not exactly much of an issue (both me and my partner at the time had been tested etc etc).

But yeah, most condom burstings happen because people don't know how to use them properly.

Like people reusing a condom... That's just silliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

nesf wrote:
    Like people reusing a condom... That's just silliness.

:eek: Surely that doesn't happen....does it?

Reusing them, keeping them in their wallet, putting two on. Yes, some people really do these things.

(Actually, there were re-usable condoms you would have to wash once upon a time, but disposable condoms have made them obsolete).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thaed wrote:
    The morning after Pill simply must be prescribed by a Dr as it may not be suitable for everyone and it has risks and side effect just like the oral contraceptive pill.
    So it is not just writing a script and it is for support and advice as well as a medical checkup.
    I personally have never heard of any dr refusing to prescribe it but I have heard

Probably just lies to ensure they get a handy fifty quid per 'consultation'. Just walked into the chemist (in Holland) this morning and bought a MAP, no questions asked, no warnings given, €13.50 for two.

Obviously, IANAD, but I don't see why it should be necessary to see a doctor in one county and not in another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

bp wrote:
    Docs dont like to give it out too often because it is really bad for you and is hard on your stomach.

I don't know where you got this information, because it's not true, and if it was your doctor, then he should keep himself inform about the product.

Again, while I don't suggest having unprotected sex by any means, it's a very safe thing to take. It's effectiveness is higher the sooner you take it, and can be taken up until 72 hours. Now, everyone, let's go invest in condoms. :D
    Obviously, IANAD, but I don't see why it should be necessary to see a doctor in one county and not in another.

I'm with you on that one. In the US they will give it to you as many times as you want it in a year- The first time you have a check up, and the others you just have to go in. S**t happens, not because of irresponsibility, or carelessness- just because it does. Not using protection over and over again is careless, mistakes are not. IMO, people shouldn't be given a hard time for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Some GPs have the pills in their office and just give them to you, and dont charge for a fee, just for the tablets! Try ringing your GP?

Talliesin wrote:
    keeping them in their wallet

They are ok in a wallet. If properly kept in there, ie not for too long. Having a condom in your wallet for a night or two should be ok (iirc), it's only when people leave them in there for weeks or when they have them in with coins or similar.

Although you prob know more about this than I do.

Advertisement