Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garages for girlies

Options
  • 29-06-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,

I brought my car in to get serviced in Dublin and they tried to rip me off completely, because I'm a girl. When I asked them to give me a detailed print out of the cost they brought the price down by a lot. Does anyone have any advice on how to find a good garage and not get ripped off.

I'm looking to trade in my car soon too, so I know the same thing will probably happen me, so I want to know how to prevent this.

Thanks,
    maggz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

maggz wrote:
    Hi,

I brought my car in to get serviced in Dublin and they tried to rip me off completely, because I'm a girl. When I asked them to give me a detailed print out of the cost they brought the price down by a lot. Does anyone have any advice on how to find a good garage and not get ripped off.

I'm looking to trade in my car soon too, so I know the same thing will probably happen me, so I want to know how to prevent this.

Thanks,
    maggz

Maggz,
    It sounds like you already know the answer.I think they try to rip us off, regardless of our sex.

Shop around.
    Inform yourself of the market value of your car before negotiating a trade in. Use www.cbg.ie to see the prices of equivalent cars.
    Negotiate the cash price first, after discount, then talk about your trade in. Obviously one of the first questions asked by the salesperson will be "are you trading in". Say no, because you can always try to sell it privately. When you've negotiated the price, see what he'll give you for your car. As a dealer, he'll sell your car easier and for a better price than you'd get. Keep that in mind.
    If you get a better price elsewhere, use it to get a better deal.

Oh, and don't get your car serviced in Dublin - I went to Longford to get mine done last time and it was half the price of the cheapest quote in Dublin. With a dealer too.

good luck

Advertisement