Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing Tar from bonnet

Options
  • 29-06-2005 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend any product which will remove tar from the bonnet of a car. Freshly layed tarmac was sprayed onto my car by the motorist in front of me yesterday. An hour after the incident happened I used a cloth dipped in petrol to try and wipe it off. This removed most of it but there is a significant amount ( 3 inches in diameter on the bonnet, the grill is also heavily stained with tar). Although I immediately contacted the local county council and they suggested writing a letter to them detailing what happened and to include costs to repair, they will then decide whether or not they will pay for repairs. I do not expect to get any satisfaction from them thus will try and clear it off myself.

If anyone can recommend anything that would be great.
    Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

iirc motor oil will remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Holts make a product called 'Tar Remover'. It's in a silver/red spray can (I think) and is the best tar remover I've used. Just spray a bit on and it dissolves the tar so it can easily be wiped away. Excellent stuff. Should be available in your local motor factors.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Try a little petrol. Worked for getting paint of the corner of my car that some pr**k left behind after pulling out of a parking space in college a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Tar'n'glue works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

kluivert wrote:
    Try a little petrol. Worked for getting paint of the corner of my car that some pr**k left behind after pulling out of a parking space in college a couple of years ago

Oh yeah, it's petrol not oil for removing tar. d'oh!

Just be sure and wash off all the petrol thoroughly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Petrol or Crab er Carb Cleaner is good.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

White Spirits ever time ! ..........unless the bonnet has been recently resprayed.
    (I know what I'm talking about - ex-panel beater)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ribbons

second vote for the holts stuff €5 for a can, brilliant great for cow crap aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

WD-40 will do it.

Advertisement