Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What books have you read more then once?

Options
  • 29-06-2005 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

what books were so good that you had to read again!

so far-
    Donna Tart- Secret history
    Stephen king-the stand

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Too many to mention, so I'll just say the books I've read more than the rest. (And also those I can actually remember rite now! :) )

Ragged Trousered Philanthropists - Robert Tressell
    Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden
    Fever Pitch, About A Boy, and High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
    The Dark Half - Stephen King
    Fatherland - Robert Harris
    SS-GB, and Goodbye, Mickey Mouse - Len Deighton
    A Piece of Cake, Hornets Sting, Goshawk Squadron, and A Good Clean Fight - Derek Robinson

I generally have to read the same books over and over cos I just don't have the money to get the most recent books these days :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

eh like a thousand but i have read all of tolkiens books oh a hundred times.the discword series a lot too.His dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman is another mass read by me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Loads and loads

The catcher in the rye
    Animal Farm
    Filth
    Catch 22
    Terry Pratchett (all that needs to be said)
    Tolkein
    The Hitchhikers guide

oh so many....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Years ago I used to read every book I bought several times (unless it was crap) but here's a few that I nearly wore out by rereading (and that I can still remember LOL):
    Catch 22
    Portnoy's Complaint
    A Clockwork Orange
    Pretty much every book by Philip K Dick (well I've read Flow my tears the policeman said, A Scanner Darkly, A maze of death, Ubik, Clans of the Alphane Moon, the Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich, the introduction to the Golden Man the most times but all of them many times)
    The Divine Invasion by Laurence Sutin (bio of PKD)
    Junkie by William Burroughs
    Dune
    Ringwold by Larry Niven
    Transreal by Rudy Rucker
    Illuminatus! by Wilson and Shea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

every one I have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that I have close on a thousand books, so I don't get to re-read too many. However, there are a few that I just adore and would re-read many times

The End of the Affair- Graham Greene
    Like Water For Chocolate - Laura Esquivel
    Lolita - Guy Naborov
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    East of Eden - Steinbeck
    The hobbit and Lord of the Rings - Tolkien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

There are so many books on my list to read that I really don't get the chance to reread anything. If I had more time and less books to read then I'd definitly read Donna Tartt - The Secret History, Sebastian Faulks - Girl At The Lion D'Or, Jean-Paul Sartre - Nausea, Danzy Senna - From Caucasia With Love (more of a teenagers book but I loved it). There are so many more but those are a handful that spring to mind at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

Glamorama - Bret Easton Ellis
    Cosmopolis- Don Delillo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Brothers Karamazov - 2 different translations to English. Was interesting (great book too, btw!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Hitchikers Guide
    The Magician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I've read almost every book I've ever owned more than once - I generally go back a couple of years later and re-read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

:eek: You can read them again !?

Actually it's been years since I've reread any of my books. And I can't even remember which of those it was. Guess I need to start over again and read them all one more time. Wonder how much of the story will be changed ........ from the way I remember it . ;)

~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kenshi

I never get around to it. It is just to hard. I am more interested in reading something new. That's why I joined the library which is what "SebtheBum" should do. I would read some again but it's better just to read new books I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

last exit to brooklyn and catcher in the rye ive read those both a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I've read the Lord of the Rings quite a few times at this stage now. If I read a good book I might have a re-read of it maybe a year down the road if I'm stuck for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kaboogie

I have read The Lord of the Rings twice. :)
    The first time about 30 years ago and a few years ago. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

The ones i liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A Clockwork Orange
    Hitchhikers Guide
    Dirk Gently x 2
    Nineteen-eighty-four
    Brave New World
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    The Bible :eek:
    Some Roald Dahl books
    Alice In Wonderland (my all time fave)

Lots of others too :)

seansouth wrote:
    Nineteen-eighty-four
    Brave New World
    Some Roald Dahl books

Yeah, same.
    Also, Island by Aldous Huxley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Mordeth wrote:
    every one I have?

same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

One I forgot was "Fear and Loathing In Los Vegas" - LOL
    At one time I used to practically know that one off by heart.
    As the man himself said "I hate to recommend sex, drugs and violence to anybody...but they've always worked for me"

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
    e - Matt Beaumont
    Things My Girlfriend & I Have Argued About - Mil Millington

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Mordeth wrote:
    every one I have?
    Ditto. I only buy a book if I think I can re-read it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i thought every book you had was a given :)
    just put up the very best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Pretty much every good book I've ever read. If it's not worth re-reading, its not a good book :).

byte wrote:
    e - Matt Beaumont

Lol, that's a great little book. Only read it once tho, through no fault of my own - it was my sister's copy, so I gave it a read. Wicked.

P.S. Have you read the sequel "An e before Christmas"? That's deadly as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Dune - read about 4 times
    Magician - Read 3 times
    Ash: A Sectret History - Read twice

There are other books that I love which I have started to read a second time, but i find with most of them I only get about half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

SebtheBum wrote:
    Lol, that's a great little book. Only read it once tho, through no fault of my own - it was my sister's copy, so I gave it a read. Wicked.

P.S. Have you read the sequel "An e before Christmas"? That's deadly as well. :D

funnything about those ones - the first time I read them, I thought they were great fun, second time...but I was looking at them again recently and I thought they had aged kind of badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Sum Of All Fears - Tom Clancy (If only the film was even half as good)

• Advertisement

silas wrote:
    Sum Of All Fears - Tom Clancy (If only the film was even half as good)

Agreed. *Shudders* The Film took a great premise from the book, and then systematically raped it to death, leaving nothing but the (always irritating) Ben Affleck in it's ruins.

I've read all of Clancy's books pre-2000, (Patriot Games excepted - man, that was sh*t), over and over.
    But when Bush became president it all seemed to close to reality - Clancy's books were ok in fiction, but that's where they should stay. :rolleyes:

Other books:
    Cornelius Ryan - The Longest Day
    Zeno - The Cauldron
    Dunno if I said these earlier, but all Nick Hornby and Roddy Doyle books. So entertaining.

Advertisement