Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new or the old..

Options
  • 29-06-2005 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I mainly want to know if people preffered the original texas chainsaw massacre or the new ver? My friends and I seem to be firmly split on the matter. (I am strongly in favour of the old version)

But while were at it we mayaswell discuss anything new and old Horror film wise.

For instance, The original haunting is one of my all time favourite movies, I found it quite terrifying.. But!, I would'nt wipe my a*s with the remake.. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

New one sucked ass, old one still owns. I've had this argument with several people, including one or two on here, so I've distilled it down to that one sentence.

The thing that amazes me is that Hooper could go from the near-genius of the original to the horribly-bent-to-fit-lame-slasher-cliches remake. I mean, talk about your textbook attempt at cashing in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Ive never seen the orignal. I liked the remake but I may hate it if I saw the first one now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Saw both and thought it was the most overrated film ever. Saw it in the IFC years ago when it was still banned and was so disappointed nearly jumped into the liffey afterwards. The chase scenes were something out of a benny hill sketch and it took too long to develop the story. No tension, no scares, no acting, no good!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I like both of them.thought it was the most overrated film ever. Saw it in the IFC years ago when it was still banned and was so disappointed nearly jumped into the liffey afterwards. The chase scenes were something out of a benny hill sketch and it took too long to develop the story. No tension, no scares, no acting, no good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

The original TCM was awesome, the camera work was amazing, and the remake sucks balls, there are so few good remakes it baffles me to wonder why ppl actually pump money into remakes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Maynard.

Yea it sucked turkey giblets alright.. And marts, then studios keep remaking these films because its cost effective, they dont want to risk money on a new film when it could fail horribly. They also have to pay for the rights of that new film, then pay to make it. They remake films because they already have the rights, and the film already has a fan base that will goto see it, some more than once, this fanbase will also promote the film through word of mouth long before the film is even out. This is why film makers are tapping into video game markets aswell. But of course the problem is they've made a bad habit of obliterating the original script during the process, ok there are films that stick firmly to the original, like the Psycho remake, but we all know how pathetic that turned out. If they insist on remakes, I do like to see changes, but not changes that take away from what made the original so great in the first place.
    I think the dawn of the dead remake remake is a fine example here. running zombies? NO! no damnint! dont try and 28 days later up the script. I want lumbering idiot zombies!

Bah Im going to pull out of this before I go into a full blown rant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Maynard. wrote:
    I think the dawn of the dead remake remake is a fine example here. running zombies? NO! no damnint! dont try and 28 days later up the script. I want lumbering idiot zombies!

Bah Im going to pull out of this before I go into a full blown rant :o

I really don't understand how someone can prefer prefer slow zombies over their faster contemporaries. I mean I get the whole loyalty to Romero's dream and all that but slow zombies are just don't cut it any more for me. After coming out of the 2004 Dawn of the Dead (which I was very impressed with btw) I couldn't help but notice how much scarier fast zombies are and how much of a gloomy prospect they make survival seem.

Sorry for going off topic mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

RE: TCM Original.......thought it was the most overrated film ever. Saw it in the IFC years ago when it was still banned and was so disappointed nearly jumped into the liffey afterwards. The chase scenes were something out of a benny hill sketch and it took too long to develop the story. No tension, no scares, no acting, no good!

This argument pops up again ;) I like the remake a LOT more than the original. When I rented the original back in '99 after the unbanning, I was shocked at the sheer awfulness of it. It's completely unscary and uninteresting. The acting is laughable at best, and the direction is very 'drunken idiot' cam during the chase scenes. I've since tried to give it another chance, and having seen it four times in total now, I haven't changed my opinion one bit -- the original TCM blows, talk about overrated. :mad:

The remake isn't anything special, but I still enjoyed it when I saw it in the cinema, however, I haven't been motivated enough to buy the DVD, so it's nowhere near my fav horror. Still streets ahead of the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

The new one was a pile of **** in comparison to the old one!

Altho, if I'd never seen the first one I probably would have thought the new one was ok. But I did see the first one so I don't :D

The original is much scarier.

Hmmm, how can u find the new one better then the old.. It defies Maynard logic!

Ok, this may be off topic, but I started the topic damnit!

Can I ask every 1 to say which TCM version they prefered, and then state the scariest film they have ever seen. Maybe its just a case of people finding a certain style or subject matter scarier than another.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I liked the new one more, and not really because it was "better" - Because I thought they both sucked major balls, but at least the new one was somewhat interesting to watch at a basic entertainment level

BTW - running zombies not cool. Creepier to see mutilated gore drenched staggering zombies dragging themselves along and clutching at the air. Creepastic.

Agreed, running zombies are pants.
    Whats next? zombies that can think, talk, and hack computer systems!?
    Oooo scary. :rolleyes:

Oh and I like the old TCM of course, and my all time scariest film is prolly
    Event Horizon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As stated - preferred the old one, the whole headphuq of the scenario is a bit more understated at the start rather than the remake's lame attempt at a Blair-witch style "oh my god, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" opening sequence.

All time favourite scary movie? Very hard to pin it down, because I can appreciate films with a stupid plot if they build atmosphere well (best atmospheric horror = John Carpenter's The Thing) but I also appreciate some of the just plain horrible idea horror films (torn between Audition and Day Of The Dead here, both work for me on this level).

Ultimately I disliked the remake because the original, for all its flaws, was an original and groundbreaking film. The remake made an effort to twist itself into the conventions of slasherflicks, which might make it an easier (ie lazier) watch if all you want is a popcorn flick, but popcorn horror is usually dire franchise material a la Friday 13th/Halloween rather than anything genuinely scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Pfft you're all wrong dammit!

"Oh no here comes a slow zombie, I'll just walk at a brisk pace to escape it!" :rolleyes:

Sorry I'll stop invading this thread with my off-topic rants now.

Advertisement