Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i stay or should i go ?

Options
  • 28-06-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK, situation is as follows,

I'm currently working in a profession i do enjoy, the work , the people , even the customers ( well not all of the time) . Now my problem is that my chosen profession as when i was leaving school became defunct as i just couldnt' get anywhere, now it has resurfaced and there is 1 thing leaving me in the cold. I'm missing a particular Exam , one i could possible get ... given a year or so.

But the thing is, should i do it ?
    I've been working in the field i'm in at the moment for the past 10 years and i know i'm good at it, and do enjoy it alot.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Life happens to you just the once so I say go for it. If you can still work while studying then there really is nothing to lose. Imagine yourself in another 10 years in the current job knowing you coulda shoulda etc.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

If it's what you really wanted to do, go for it.
    It might not work out, but you will not sit there at 60 wondering what if....

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

yeah its better to take a gamble on something you enjoy doing than giving it up and getting stuck in a dead end job that you hate. i say go for it and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

While i do understand that Nothing ventured nothing gained is a very valid point. There is no garentee that will Like the new role, and that i am well established where i am .. this is part of the resone i'm so confused about the whole thing...

In all honesty i'm still not sure of what to do, only thing i am sure on is that my mind keeps playing on what is best for myself and my sanity

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anyone else able to give a bit of input , i'm still caught in 2 minds about this :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can you do the exam part-time? Might be a good idea to study for it and see how you like the subject material? It could give you a good idea as to how you'd find the role itself and an extra qualification on your CV never hurts...

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

You need to look at a few things. What are your career/salary prospects in your current situation versus career/salary in your desired career.
    As said previously will you look back when you are 60 and say what if? I would go for it, if it doesn't work out then you can go back and re-establish your self in your current career. All that is lost is a year or two, this is nothing when youa re young and have few responsiblities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I was in a situation working for a large company, making pretty decent money and on a fast track to promotion! Job was grand, found it easy enough and I got on really well with my colleuges!

But I got offered a position which I had wanted for years to do something I had always wanted to do! It involved taking a pay cut (of 50%) and working hard on for three years! But for me it was what I wanted to do and the long term benefits were good!

So I took the offer and have never regretted it since, I know that if I had stayed where I was I would regret it now and be very unhappy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You need to take a lot of things into account. View your current salary, financial commitments (loans, rent etc.), benefits (pension, healthcare), standard of living and quality of life.

Then see what sort of a drop in salary you could take and still function. After all, most of us work to live, not live to work.

The idea of trying to get the one exam part time is a good one - also, are you SURE you actually need it? Could it be a case where you could get into your desired profession using your decade's work/life experience as a substitute for the subject, or is it central to the job you want to do?

Be wary of setting yourself back a few years by making an impulsive choice that isn't properly researched. Make sure you know as much as you can about everything before you take any leaps.

Either way, you have to follow your heart sometimes in work. You need to do what is right for you, and if you can balance your life so you're happier with less money, doing something you WANT to do - well, I know what I'd rather be doing.

Advertisement