Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home coil

Options
  • 28-06-2005 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Wtf is a home coil. I just got a text from a mechanic saying it was gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

What? Home coil now thats a first. Ring him and ask is it the ignition coil because i never heard of a Home Coil.

Whats the details on the car, that may help for better understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Focus with poor acceleration at times. Like when you change into a gear and put the foot down it wud kinda jump/shudder in the same way it would if you were in too high a gear for the revs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Sorry lad i have never hear of a home coil, hey ring your nearest other Ford Dealer and ask how much is a Home Coil, just to have out if the mechanic is pulling a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a new one on me. In any case, modern fuel injected engines don't have the single ignition coil commonly found on older engines, but generally have several smaller coils, either one per cylinder or sometimes one per two cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If he sent you a text, perhaps he has predictive text and didn't mean to say "Home coil". Perhaps "good coil" or "hood coil" or perhaps he spelled it completely wrong. Ring him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I assume he just means the coil. Your symptons bear all the hallmarks of one of your coils being gone anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Jackz wrote:
    Focus with poor acceleration at times. Like when you change into a gear and put the foot down it wud kinda jump/shudder in the same way it would if you were in too high a gear for the revs.

never heard of a "Home coil" unless he meant "hole coil", his term for a coil over plug.

Anyway, what sort of ignition setup does this thing have. One coil + 1 wire, multiple coils + with several Wires, Coil over every plug?.

it does sound like poor ignition, but start with the simple stuff, when were the plugs last changed and are they correct ones and gapped correctly.
    it could also be a coil driver circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

the petrol focus has a single coil unit,they can be a common problem on mondeo(similar engine),i bought one recently for my 2.0 zetec from a main dealer fo about €70,so focus should be around the same price,
    they take 5mins to replace,very easy job ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Sorry fokes didnt have computer to hand for the last few days. Seems the mechanic isnt the may west at txting. Was the coil which needed replacing. I bought the car second hand from a ford garage and it was still under warranty so they replaced it. And an alloy shortly after I bought the car im glad i paid extra in a garage now and not bought the cars i looked at from the buy and sell.
    I dont know feck all about cars.

Advertisement