Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford fiesta advice

Options
  • 28-06-2005 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Just got first car , 00 ford fiesta lx but there is a kind of scratching noise coming from the wheels when I am driving. It is not constant but I am not sure whether it is the brakes or not?
    Also wondering where would be best place to go about getting a set of ford fiesta alloys for it. (living in dublin)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Sounds like worn or binding brake pads.Buy and sell or breakers yard for alloys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Ditto on the brakes.

On the alloys from breakers yard. Make sure you can get a money back guarentee if they are bent, warped, or out of planarity. To test for that, nount them on a hub without a tyre and spin them, then observe the wobble of not more than ±1/16" in any direction at the rim edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

take it to a garage. most likely sticky/binding brake pads.

breaker for fiesta alloys, but you might be able to get something nicer in halfords or soemthing like that. the fiesta ones are a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My 96 Fiesta has a sticking left front caliper - so one pad is always rubbing. I only discovered this last week and it has a squeaking noise like you describe. I've to change the pads and free up the caliper slide - hopefully a good lash of WD40 will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Dont put Wd-40 near your brakes oil & brake pads are not a good combination.If your brake pads/discs are not worn then smack the caliper with a mallet it should free up the caliper sliders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

To be fair, I know you were only trying to help but I kinda figured that bit out!

I pulled the slides out (they were covered in black gunk at both sides) and cleaned them offline with WD40 and kitchen paper (I was watching Wexford being beaten in the Leinster final so I needed something to distract me). They cleaned up grand both sides. Passenger side had one pad down to about 2mm, the other at about 8mm. Drivers side had them at around 6 & 7mm (slightly uneven). Car behaving better now, no squeaks from the wheels as they rotate. The smell from the front pads first time I descended a long hill was a little disconcerting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hungry

Alright thanks,
    had a look at them and it is the pads alright so got a new set and put them on with help from the old man!!
    still on the search for alloys though.
    by the way whats up with the bloody price of petrol. is it ever going to stop.

Advertisement