Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They Never Repeat Them

Options
  • 28-06-2005 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else remember old TV series that were great but they just never repeat them.
    I used to love StreetHawke and The Fall Guy, oh and of course The Greatest American Hero.

Why oh Why, do they never repeat these (I know I've left myself open on that one). They always repeat KnightRider, Airwolf etc, quality shows to be sure, but man I'd love to see the above ones again.

Anyone else got great shows we might have forgotten about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Yeah, the original Mission Impossible series! I'd pay to see it again. It was repeated for a while on sky a few years back...but I didn't have sky at the time : \ Channel 4 showed a few episodes in the middle of the night but I haven't heard of it for the past few years. There's bound to be room for these shows on UKGold etc, people are getting tired of the Royle Family every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I agree, eo980, I'd love to see the likes of 'The Fall Guy' and 'The Greatest American Hero' again. Though, I think if we were to actually see them again now they'd probably look really cheesey and crap nowadays. Nostalgia always makes you think something was better "back then", doesn't it? ;)

There's one show I would really, really love to see repeated, though, and that's 'MacGyver'. I know some of the satellite channels repeat it every now and again (Bravo, in particular) but I don't think I've ever seen it repeated on a terrestrial channel. I'd love to see it repeated again on RTE or something because I don't have Sky Digital in order to watch it on Bravo or whatever. I know last year they repeated 'The A-Team' at around 6 or 7 o' clock of a Saturday evening on RTE 2 (when there wasn't a match on or something) but that's been repeated loads of times at this stage, just like 'Airwolf' and the like. Maybe next time when RTE 2 need a filler programme like that they could show 'MacGyver'....... eh lads? ;) If anyone from RTE is ever on here reading these Boards. Eh? Eh? Nudge, nudge! ;) Go on, you know you want to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Ye know Bravo show some classic shows on saturdays as afaik, saw manimal and Automan last week. I used to think Automan was cool...like Aidan said...sooooo cheesey.
    Although Streethawk was cool!

D..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There's one show I would really, really love to see repeated, though, and that's 'MacGyver'.

Ahh yeah MacGyver kicked ass, I loved that show so much. Sad to admit it's the ringtone on my phone! Yeah man how often can they show the same old shows again and again and again.

Anyone else got old fave's they'd like to see again?
    I just remembered that I used to like SledgeHammer - anyone remember that? Or what about The Commish? I wonder have many people seen that, don't think it was ever the most popular but man it was really good.

'Sledge Hammer' was fúcking deadly! I used to love it. The way he used to loveingly caress his gun which he called, well, "Gun". And even talk to it! :D The police chief would always end up shouting out "HAMMMEEERRRRRRRR!" when he'd just gone and done something stupid again like blowing up a skyscraper or something. Fecking deadly show. Can anyone else remember Sledge Hammer's catchphrase:

"T***t *e, I **ow w**t *'* ***ng!" ;)

Used to be on of a Wednesday or Thursday evening around 7 or 8 o' clock on Network 2 (as it was at the time), if I remember correctly. And I only ever saw it repeated once after that and that was about 10 or 12 years ago late night on UTV. Would love to see it again as well.

I remember watching 'The Commish' as well. Used to be on after 'Kenny Live' of a Saturday night. Great little police drama with little comedy bits thrown in as well. I saw it repeated recently somewhere late at night, might have been RTE 2 perhaps. Happen to catch a couple of episodes of it and it's still great to watch. Couldn't believe when I saw your man from it in another police drama there a while ago (I forget the name of it right now) and here he was all toned up and muscular and going around with a shaved head! :eek: Big change from how he looked back in the days of 'The Commish', eh? :D

• Advertisement

'Sledge Hammer' was fúcking deadly!
    Yeah Sledge Hammer was excellent, the guy was perfect for the role, damn funny. Like I said I have a crap memory, so I can't remember his line. I just remembered another TV show I really liked, though it's completely different from the others. Anyone remember the early seasons of Alby Mangels World Safari before they went over the top with it? Man I used to get out of bed early when I was a kid and watch that on RTE.

You know the guy from Greatest American Hero, William Katt I think his name is. There was another show on during the 80's and the main guy looked very very similar too him. The guy was somewhat partnered with his father, I think his dad, or possibly both of them were lawyers or something like that, and they always wore suits. The curly blonde haired guy drove a really nice car, a red corvette or something like that. I only saw it a few times but it made a real impession on me. Anyone remember what it might have been called? As usual I think they went about solving crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pinx

Does anyone remember "Get Smart"? I think it used to be shown on Saturday mornings - I know it was kinda cheesy, but I used to love watching it while eating my cornflakes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

eo980 wrote:
    You know the guy from Greatest American Hero, William Katt I think his name is. There was another show on during the 80's and the main guy looked very very similar too him. The guy was somewhat partnered with his father, I think his dad, or possibly both of them were lawyers or something like that, and they always wore suits. The curly blonde haired guy drove a really nice car, a red corvette or something like that. I only saw it a few times but it made a real impession on me. Anyone remember what it might have been called? As usual I think they went about solving crime.

Hardcastle & McCormack?

Pinx wrote:
    Does anyone remember "Get Smart"? I think it used to be shown on Saturday mornings - I know it was kinda cheesy, but I used to love watching it while eating my cornflakes....

Yeah I remember that alright, I think RTE used to show it on a saturday. Hmmnn Hardcastle and McCormack George, I remember the name alright, but can't find any pictures on Google. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

eo980 wrote:
    Yeah I remember that alright, I think RTE used to show it on a saturday. Hmmnn Hardcastle and McCormack George, I remember the name alright, but can't find any pictures on Google. :(

Turns out It's hardcastle & mccormIck... maybe you'll have more luck with that

IMDB Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

OOooh they'd be so many.. :D

Get Smart
    Mission Impossible
    McGyver
    Maguim P.I.
    Matlock
    Jake and the Fat Man
    Streets of San Francisco (good auld Molden & Douglas)
    Family Ties
    MOrk and Mindy

I could go on.. but I can't remember anymore! (And I don't have any cable channels that might show some of them!)

Here's a freaky thing that happend though..
    There was this kids programme on years go I dunno if you remember it, I think it was called GreenFingers. It had this monster/dragonlike creature who lived in a GreenHouse I think. And then there was a magic tree outside in the garden and they used to plant things in it. It was on BBC years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

eo980 wrote:
    Yeah Sledge Hammer was excellent, the guy was perfect for the role, damn funny. Like I said I have a crap memory, so I can't remember his line.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing" :cool:

That guy from the commish plays baldy hardass dirty cop extraordinaire Vic Mackey in The Shield now. (Michael Chiclis i think is his name)

Correctamundo, Stephen! I used to love the way towards the end of the opening credits Sledge Hammer would point his gun at the camera (or actually, it looked like he was pointing it slightly off camera) say "Trust me, I know what I'm doing", pull the trigger and end up shooting the camera lens! Classic! :D

And thank you for telling me the name of the show Michael Chiklis (aka The Commish) currently stars in. I can never remember it (only saw it a couple of times flicking through the channels anyway!). The Shield, The Shield, The Shield, The Shield........... I'll remember it if I say it to myself enough times, I'm sure! :D Funny to see how much he has changed over the years from his time in 'The Commish' to his time in 'The Shield', isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've emailed Bravo and UK Gold about buying series' rights in the past and they've never gotten back to me.

Greatest American Hero — fcukin class. The brother bought the first season on DVD a couple of months ago, so it was a Saturday marathon for me. It's still brilliant. There's also a bonus DVD, 'The GReatest American Heroine', where the aliens take the suit back and give it to a bird that Mr Hinkley has to choose. Absolutely desperate pilot episode that never aired.

Had completely forgotten about Streethawk, had to google it, but rmemeber it now.

Manimal is still pretty cool, they're showing it on Bravo at the mo'.

How gay is Automan? OMFG! It's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

'Sledge Hammer' was fúcking deadly! I used to love it. The way he used to loveingly caress his gun which he called, well, "Gun". And even talk to it! :D The police chief would always end up shouting out "HAMMMEEERRRRRRRR!" when he'd just gone and done something stupid again like blowing up a skyscraper or something. Fecking deadly show. Can anyone else remember Sledge Hammer's catchphrase:

"T***t *e, I **ow w**t *'* ***ng!" ;)

Used to be on of a Wednesday or Thursday evening around 7 or 8 o' clock on Network 2 (as it was at the time), if I remember correctly. And I only ever saw it repeated once after that and that was about 10 or 12 years ago late night on UTV. Would love to see it again as well.

Both series of Sledgehammer are out on DVD. I picked them up in the US in April. $30 each. I think both are on region 2 as well.
    I watch an episode every Thursday night - just like I used to watch it on TV 1986-1988

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Shows I'd like to see repeated on RTE1/2/TG4/TV3........

Magnum P.I.
    Simon & Simon
    Bring 'Em Back Alive
    Street Legal (Canadian legal series - loved the brunette in it!:D)
    The Fall Guy
    Minder

Silvera wrote:

Magnum P.I.
    Simon & Simon

Magnum P.I. series 1 DVD (R1) has a bonus disc featuring the two Simon and Simon crossover episodes (one Magnum, one S&S) plus a two parter from series 5 featuring Sharon Stone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BJ and the Bear

Joe Dancer

The Rockford files (ok they get repeated)

Skippy - haven't seen it in ages.

Fall Guy - guess which film we used the clips from this week ?

And all those things they used to show on Saturday mornings.
    Noggin the Nog
    The Whirly Birds

The Rockford files (ok they get repeated)

RTE1 have repeated the first three series in the last eighteen months or so.

On some mornings the continuity announcer referred to it as The Rockford Flies :rolleyes:

what a loser

Does anyone remember the Canadian science show they used to show on Network 2 in the early 90's? It was hosted by some Donnie Osmond lookalike with the big white teeth! It was really interesting. It's not Beyond 2000 as that was Austrailian. Hmnnn I can't remember the name of the show but I'm almost certain the name was 2 words.

Anyone remember?

Capt'n Midnight
    (I vaguely remember liking BJ and the Bear, but so long ago, so young, I can't remember if it was any good?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Silvera wrote:

Magnum P.I.
    Simon & Simon
    Bring 'Em Back Alive
    Street Legal (Canadian legal series - loved the brunette in it!:D)
    The Fall Guy
    Minder

Had you not listed those, I would have done it for you. I loved all those shows.. except Street Legal. Don't know what that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

There's one show I would really, really love to see repeated, though, and that's 'MacGyver'.

Released yesterday on R2 DVD and added to my list of things to get. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

MacGuyver is shown again now and again on Bravo on Saturday mornings. I watched it in bed a few weeks ago the day they were showing Automan and Manimal all day.

Advertisement