Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Informing new ins. company about prev. accident

Options
  • 28-06-2005 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Getting a quote from an insurance company that I haven't used before. Will have to tell them about an accident I was involved in and a claim that was made against me.

How much information do they look for? I assume they'll ask:

"Who was at fault?"
    "How much was paid out?"

Do they then contact my previous insurer to check what I've told them?

What sort of loading on the premium will I be looking at for having had a an accident?

Also any general suggestions (genuine) about going about getting this new quote would be useful

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

You may not have a choice. If you're telling a new company you have X years NCB, they will require proof of this from your existing insurance company. Many insurance co's include a 'statement' of your NCB on the renewal notice they send you, so you can tear this off and present it to a new co as proof of your NCB. You won't have this.

Wouldn't advise not disclosing details of an accident in any case. Your insurance is conditional based on the information you've given te insurance co being true, so effectively, you would be driving around without valid insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kmoon

I've zero years NCB now anyway because of the accident and claim, so I'll be telling any new insurance company about the accident and claim.

But do they just take your word on how you describe the accident/claim, or do check with the previous insurance company to get further details?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

kmoon wrote:
    I've zero years NCB now anyway because of the accident and claim, so I'll be telling any new insurance company about the accident and claim.

But do they just take your word on how you describe the accident/claim, or do check with the previous insurance company to get further details?

They don't really care about the details. They're only interested in that you actually made a claim. The "Proof of no claims discount" is a legal document and at renewal time each year your insurer must send it to you with your renewal details. Your new insurance company will ask for this whether you have a NCB or not. If you've no NCB the document will state that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

I didnt think you could move insurance company for a certain number of years...(3-5 ?) after a claim was made, am in a similar situation actually as had 5 years NCB and after claim this year with stepback protection its reduced to 3 years at next renewal.

Was definitly under the impression that you have to stay with that insurance company for 3 years minimum as no other insurance company would insure you if there has been a claim in the last 3-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kmoon

Can someobody clear this up? Is it the case that you can't move insurance company until a certain amount of years after a claim/accident?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kmoon wrote:
    Can someobody clear this up? Is it the case that you can't move insurance company until a certain amount of years after a claim/accident?
    Nope. You're free to move. You may just find yourself being quoted big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Gerry

Every insurance company will ask you if you have had an accident in the last 3-5 years ( period varies ). I've never come across one that doesn't. Even if they don't ask ( bestquote.ie doesn't ask you ), you can be sure its in the small print somewhere, and as has been said already, if you are driving around without having told them, your insurance is invalid.
    As for what happens when you do tell them, well my premium went up 100 on the old policy that the claim was made under.
    On my own policy, I had to pay a fair bit extra. I received a quote which presumed I had no claims of 1800, which was poor, when I informed them of the claim, it went to 1950. Which isn't too bad, but if I had no claims, I could have gotten a quota of around 1100 - 1200 elsewhere.
    So basically I'm probably paying 50 - 60% extra.
    It does of course depend on the size of the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

samo wrote:
    I didnt think you could move insurance company for a certain number of years...(3-5 ?) after a claim was made, am in a similar situation actually as had 5 years NCB and after claim this year with stepback protection its reduced to 3 years at next renewal.

Was definitly under the impression that you have to stay with that insurance company for 3 years minimum as no other insurance company would insure you if there has been a claim in the last 3-5 years.

Of course you can move Insurance Company, only problem is that the new company may load your premium due to you having a claim, your existing company is happy to step back your NCD (No Claims DISCOUNT) a few percent because you have being paying extra to them over the years just for this occurrence, but you still have 3 years NCD if you move company

Advertisement