Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Please recommend me a bike!

Options
  • 28-06-2005 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭

Questions for bike gurus!!

I have considerable experience with bikes, I have used bike to commute everyday for more than seven years back in 90s, on really dodgy roads, more pot-holes than tarmac, no traffic lights etc (not in Ireland)! But, I haven’t been on a bike since 2000, and I know it’s a whole different game out there. I have gathered it’s quite dangerous out there, especially so if you are tired, or even slightly careless.

However, I am still thinking of getting myself a bike, for Drogheda-City Centre work-commute. Some of you would think its insane and I should take the train, but I have plans to do evening/part-time masters in the south side, which may not match the train timings.

I am 29, male, would need a fresh license here (provisional?), and I am on a limited budget (just bought my first house). I am afraid I need something under 5K including thousand euros for proper (re) training and gear. Can you think of one or two decent bikes to suit me (five eleven, medium build, don’t like cruisers or scooters, long distance commute day or night, on a budget and low insurance category) for under 4000 euros?

Sorry about the long post and thanks a million for your time!

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Varadero 125 or TDR125 would be your best bet, they'll give you the cheapest insurance. But at your age, you should be able to get something with a little more poke without your insurance suffering too much. The two-stroke TDR mightn't be ideal for the long commute either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

If you've a lot of experience you'll get sick of a 125 very fast, you can pick up honda cb400 superfours in good nick in your price range, very solid bike, handles nicely in traffic/at low rpms, tiny turning circle and it'll get you to 160kph quickly enough and eventually 180 (on a track or private road you understand)
    Its very popular with couriers so thats usually a testament to reliability and comfort. reasonable insurance (for a given value of reasonable that is)

here's a pic of my mates one
    cb400.sized.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

i am actually doing a similar commute to what you are planning and am using a honda bros 400 and its a breeze on the bike also very goog on the petrol

youll get one and gear and training for alot less than 5 grand as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

The Hondas are, indeed, very good, but a Suzuki Bandit (400 or 600) would also be worth considering. I had a 600 for three years and never had cause to complain. Good on petrol and very easy to ride, with a decent amount of power, should you need it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

BROS400. It will fit into your licence category (33 horse power).

The Suzuki Bandit or the CB400 would need restrictor kits added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Considering I will be on provisional license, how much do you think the insurance would be on these bikes (I am more inclined to cheaper 400cc)?

Thanks again!

Just noticed the new Ducati M 400, for less than 10K, I could afford it I were to wait for a while or loan some money. Any comments? I love the Ducati sound (downside is that I will have to push it once I get into the estate, at night!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

another vote for the bros.
    got mine about 8 weeks ago and absolutely love it.

got a laser exhaust fittedd the other day and the lovely v twin rumble drowns out the ducati monster 660 i see every day ;)

also group 5 is the lowest insurance youll get for a bike of this type and size,
    as has been said the hornets / bandits / cbs are afaik group 7 or higher,
    and a lot more money to buy aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

The Bros/CB400's are both excellent city bikes, but would not be the best for the M1, which I assume you will be using (regardless of the learner status).

Get something with a fairing. For your budget, an older Honda CBR600, a Honda Hornet-S, a Suzuki Bandit-S, a Suzuki GS500f (faired), or a Honda CB500s (faired) might do the trick.

If you want to do more than commute, then I suggest a 400 supersport. They are cheap, comfy for an hour or two in the saddle (if you are under 6 feet), and are a blast if you want to have some fun and do some twisty roads. They are also cheap enough to insure.

If you are worried about restrictions, dont be - they are not enforced, and the Bros\CB400\Bandit are all over the 33hp limit anyway.

People seem to think the bros is 33hp. Its not. It makes 37.0HP @ 8,500 rpm according to honda's factbook - and the law says the 33hp rule is applied to the manufactuers stated HP output, not what it actually makes.

So if you are going to stick to the law, then know it. And if people are going to suggest bikes based on being inside the 33bhp rule, then I assure you most bikes over 125cc are not, exceptions being 250 cruisers, 250 v-twins and 250 scooters and a couple of others due to their weight. There is basically no choice of bikes within the 33hp rule, so just ignore it. To ease your mind, you can get it restricted (and then get it taken out if you like) and keep the bit of paper.

With this in mind, the best choice, if all you want is a cheap commuter with a fairing, Honda Transalp 400. Not the most stylish looking thing in the world, but very practical and reliable. Same engine as the Bros.
    _c119_p4_s.jpg

Advertisement