Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is it?

Options
  • 28-06-2005 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

grand parents seem to show more interest in the raring of the grand kids than they did with their own kids during their chilhood?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I wouldn't think they do. They just go about showing their differently, and of course their own kids are now old enough to be able to fully see the effort being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

very stupid point,thats you opinon from your own life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭synchro

county wrote:
    no it isnt
    my parents have no grandchildren yet
    i have seen this with other grandparents and their grandchildren

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Dr.Feelgood

I wouldnt say that!
    Maybe for you.

Not i, thats for sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe it's because Grandparents get to have good times with the kids with the option of packing them off back to their parents when it all gets a bit boring. Sounds more appealing to me :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because they look back at thier time parenting through rose tinited glasses.
    Yes they are older and wiser and now not living with the stresses and struggles that part of rearing children; so they can see how things 'should' be done or how they would do them , not making mistakes they may have made while rearing their own children.

This can cause comments being made and interference, and the once child now a parent finds them looking at thier parents now grandparents and thinking
    'you werent so bloody perfect'. If this is allowed to build up it can cause a lot of resentment, esp if the grand parents have issues with the parenting and lifesyle choices of thier adult offspring.

The more good caring and loving people a child has in thier life the better their
    sense of family, community and security. But some time you have to be as firm with your parents as you are with your children about the rule and how you run your household and family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

synchro wrote:
    no it isnt
    my parents have no grandchildren yet
    i have seen this with other grandparents and their grandchildren

I have also seen this. My parents are not grandparents, but to be fair they always gave me everything, not that I was spoilt but they raised me well and I recognise that. I doubt they could possibly treat a grandchild any better then they have treated me.

That said, my Mothers mother never treated her children great. All her children back this statement up, and in one case, one of her kids moved away and refuses to generally socialize with her. She never really treated me or my sister that well, and we are her grandchildren. She always treated us like we were just in the way kinda thing, you know? Not exactly any fondness there. But now, she treats her new grandchild like gold. Shes the daughter of her youngest daughter, who lived at home much more then her other kids and they got on a lot better then the other children.

Always buying her loads of presents, and offering to mind her. Which she never once did for me or my sister, and most certainly not for her own kids.

This isn't exactly on the point of the original thread, but close enough. And I needed a tuesday morning rant. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I think its curiosity to see what mistakes they have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭synchro

county wrote:
    i dont have kids nor have parents got grandparents ;) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

synchro wrote:
    i dont have kids nor have parents got grandparents ;) :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry, could you possibly re-phrase this? I don't know exactly what you're trying to say with the last clause.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement