Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car security

Options
  • 27-06-2005 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

i have a couple fo questions

are vw polos easy to break into in general ? i have a 1997 4 dr model.

my brother told me you can get fake alarm systems that you can install basically as a small led on your dashboard to make it look like there is an alarm system installed. anyone know where to get these ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would you not be better off getting a real alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pontovic wrote:
    anyone know where to get these ?
    Lidl or Aldi had them a while back. Also check Tesco's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

they can be broken into easily, i had a polo last year and the stereo got robbed in less than 5 mins. i was only away from the car max 5 mins.

just get a real alarm,its not the end of the world topay 150-200 for a proper alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why not just get an alarm?

These scumbags may not be the brightest tools in the shed but they can tell the difference between a cheap fake Lidle flashing led (like something found on a Christmas tree) and a proper alarm infrared sensor.

Generally people spend their hard earned cash on cars but have to think really long before securing it properly. You will pay about €250 - €300 for a good quality alarm, this is a fraction of the price of a quality stereo system or set of alloy wheels.

A neighbour of mine was in the business of home and car security and he told me that 80% of his customers got either house or car alarms installed after their property was broken into. "Prevention is better than cure" he used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

drdre wrote:
    they can be broken into easily, i had a polo last year and the stereo got robbed in less than 5 mins.

If your car has glass windows - it's easily broken into (unless you've an Audi A8 with double glazing :) )
    Alarms, like any other security measure, are merely a deterrant. NOTHING will stop thieves if they want something bad enough.
    The key is to never leave anything in the car that would attract thieves - take the face off the radio, use a steering lock or chain. Most OEM stereos nowadays need codes if disconnected from the battery or are in 2 different parts in the dashboard, so these are undesirable to thieves. It's the aftermarket stereo that the scum will look for - easy to remove, and can be easily installed in other cars (easy to sell). If you're in a really dodgy area, empty the glovebox and leave it open. I'm not sure, but I'd say the 97 Polo has some type of immobiliser, so at least there's a good chance the car will be there when you get back!

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Late 97 polo got key with chip in it. I have a 98 with the internally milled key and chip. They have an immobiliser too. Pity that wont stop your radio being pilfered. From my experience renaults and Jap cars are far easier to get into. (had a couple of keys locked in situations!) so i reckon the VW is relatively secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

As mentioned, an alarm won't really put them off if they want your stereo. When My polo was broken into the alarm went off but it only takes a minute to prise the stereo out with a screw driver and then just walk off. Think about the last time you heard a car alarm go off, did you go and see why it was ringing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

Ok so an Imobliser would do me ok my car has one as staderd any other idears what i should do to keep a car safe Im in a dodgy area so the stering lock would be ideal as well anything else ?

Shadow_2k5 wrote:
    Ok so an Imobliser would do me ok my car has one as staderd any other idears what i should do to keep a car safe Im in a dodgy area so the stering lock would be ideal as well anything else ?

You could also perhaps buy something to lock both the handbrake and gearstick together.
    Like this:
    http://im.edirectory.co.uk/products/225/i/a01m.jpg

These are easily bypassed by a pro, but will keep the average scum busy for a while.

Your basic goal should be that if a thief sees your car, they should say to themselves "ah f*ck it, it's too much hassle" :)

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

dcGT wrote:
    You could also perhaps buy something to lock both the handbrake and gearstick together.
    Like this:
    http://im.edirectory.co.uk/products/225/i/a01m.jpg

These are easily bypassed by a pro, but will keep the average scum busy for a while.

Your basic goal should be that if a thief sees your car, they should say to themselves "ah f*ck it, it's too much hassle" :)

DC.

Those things are the worst car security device ever created. they are so easy to remove ots funny, and unfortunately every little bugger on the street knows this all too well. ( most cars have a gearknob that screws off... Hey presto!, some also have enough gearstick travel to render it useless)

My advice.. Get a dog!

• Advertisement

Kermitt wrote:
    Those things are the worst car security device ever created. they are so easy to remove ots funny, and unfortunately every little bugger on the street knows this all too well. ( most cars have a gearknob that screws off... Hey presto!, some also have enough gearstick travel to render it useless)

My advice.. Get a dog!

Depends on the type of car they're fitted to. On some motors, the handbrake will not lift enough above the gearstick to be able to pull it over. But yeah, on some cars with short gearsticks, this can be done.

DC.

Advertisement